4 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2011 9:40 PM by denno

reporting on choices in a value list

denno

Title

reporting on choices in a value list

I have a field that is a checkbox set with values displayed from a value list. The field is used to record the conclusion from a review. Each record can have multiple values selected in the Conclusion field. I'd like to be able to have a summary report or chart that displays the breakdown of Conclusions selected.  I need a way to be able to extract the multiple selections into individual selections.

For example, record1 could have conclusion1 & conclusion5. Record2 could have conclusion1.

When I chart it, I want any instance of conclusion1 counted, etc.

Thanks for any help-

• 1. Re: reporting on choices in a value list
          philmodjunk

A couple of options come to mind. The simplest is a series of calculation fields. Say conclusion 1 is the text "Outstanding".

Not IsEmpty ( FilterValues ( YourTable::YourCheckBoxFIeld ; "Outstanding ) )

will return a 1 in all records where "Outstanding" was selected.

You could one such field for each value and summary fields could be used to sum up the numbers for each value selected.

A more sophisticated option, is to replace your checkbox field with a portal with a single value check box in each portal row. You'd need to script a process for creating the portal records with each new record created in your Review table, but with that working, you could generate reports and graphs on layouts based on this portal table where you could sort the records to group them by conclusion--which can make for more flexible reporting and charting.

• 2. Re: reporting on choices in a value list
            denno

"You'd need to script a process for creating the portal records with each new record created in your Review table"

not sure I understand

• 3. Re: reporting on choices in a value list
              philmodjunk

You have a record for recording your review data. If you are going to record these options in a portal, you must create the related records each time your create a new "review" record or the portal will be empty.

Something like this script:

Set Variable [$ReviewID ; Value: Yourtable::ReviewID ]
              Set Variable [$ValueList ; Value: ValueListItems ( Get ( FileName ) ; "Name of your check box value list in quotes" )]
              Freeze Window
              Go To Layout [PortalTable//select layout to same table as the portal uses]
              Loop
                 Set Variable [$I ; Value:  $I + 1]
                 New Record/Request
                 Set Field [PortalTable::ReviewID ; $ReviewID ]
                 Set Field [PortalTable::ValueName ; GetValue ( $ValueLIst ; $I )
                 Exit Loop IF [ $I = ValueCount ( $ValueList ) ]
              End Loop
              Go To Layout [original layout]

You would run this script each time you create a new Review record.

• 4. Re: reporting on choices in a value list
                denno

Thanks for the help-

I got the portal and script set up. The only thing I can't figure out is how to put the single value check box in each portal row. Each row in the portal is showing the value list items from the related table but when I try to change it to a checkbox set, I only have the option to select a value list.