2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2009 8:22 AM by ralvy

Reports question

ralvy

Title

Reports question

Still very new to FMP. Started with FMP 9 Advanced a couple of months ago. Using FMP 10 Advanced now.

A patient billing database with the following hierarchy:

Cases table

Case Diagnoses table

Case Transactions table 

I can easily see how to create a report that shows all Transactions for a given Case, where Case info sits in the Header, and Transactions sit in the Body (one line per Transaction). No problem here.

But I want the list of Diagnoses for this Case to be in the First Page Header, or at least appear on paper to be in the First Page Header.

This is easy in the DOS RDBMS I use (DataPerfect). The Diagnoses are printed in one subreport, and the Transactions are printed in a second subreport, all in the same report.

With FMP, it looks like I need to assemble the Diagnoses in a variable and then print that variable. But since it seems that FMP doesn't offer a way to print a variable (please correct me if that's wrong), it looks like I need to insert that variable's contents in a field (perhaps a global field), and then print that field.

Am I on the right track here?

• 1. Re: Reports question
          Jens Teich
             If you want to print two lists you have to print twice. One might consider replacing one of the lists with a portal but this is kind of cumbersome because portals can only print a fixed number of rows.

If you print twice (two layouts) you might use 'Append PDF' script step to combine both in one PDF.

Jens

• 2. Re: Reports question
            ralvy
               I see. Thank. Seems like my solution is easier. I assemble the second list in a global field in a Utility Table and print that field.