9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 11:12 AM by philmodjunk

Reports-

keycoachjohn

Title

Reports-

Hi, a couple of questions for the board.  I've been working to convert my group away from using excel for reporting purposes and over to FM; so far so good.  One of the projects I'm working on has about 150 fields that are displayed on a layout/report for one record.  It's a lot of information and the old school way of presenting it used several pages of excel.  The fields already exist, multple related tables etc... Question is: Without exporting data is there anyway within FM layouts to quickly fabricate a grid to appease the bosses (they still want the old familiiar) and create a quick spot for aliging these fields?  Ultimately the whole prentation needs an overhaul, but for now I need to bridge it over.  Also, I noticed when using a Title Header and Leading Grand Summary that the "body" part rolls over to page 2.  Is there a way to start presenting fields in "body" on page 1 (with the Title Header/Footer?)  Thanks, JE

• 1. Re: Reports-
          TSGal

keycoachjohn:

Thank you for your post.

There are several ways to view a layout.  While in Browse Mode, pull down the View menu and select "View as Table".  This will give you a "grid" way to view the data.

The Title Header only appears on the first page.  A Grand Summary part can have several options.  Double-click the Grand Summary part to see these options.  If you check the option "Page break after every 1 occurrence", the part that follows it will start on the next page.  Or, if the Body is not large enough to fit on the current page after the Title Header and Leading Grand Summary, it will be forced to the next page.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Reports-
            philmodjunk

"is there anyway within FM layouts to quickly fabricate a grid to appease the bosses (they still want the old familiiar) and create a quick spot for aliging these fields?"

The standard way to create an "Excel style" spreadsheet look is to cobble up something in either list or table view. Not sure what you need here or what you mean by a "quick spot".

"...I noticed when using a Title Header and Leading Grand Summary that the "body" part rolls over to page 2.  Is there a way to start presenting fields in "body" on page 1 (with the Title Header/Footer?)"

Why are you using a leading grand summary and a Title header?

Is it strickly the printed report format you need that's critical or how it is presented on the computer screen?

• 3. Re: Reports-
              keycoachjohn

I considered cobbling in list/table view, however that seemed most applicable to browse a bunch of records with a few fields.  Since each report represents only one record (but a whole bunch of fields) I hit a wall.  These are ultimately printed reports that are part of a regular routine, so while the data is now managed behind the scenes using FM, the end product will get printed in a clunky excel format.  To create the equivalent printed report, I need to place 150 plus fields into the report/layout so I'm trying to place it in a grid of some fashion; close to the old style (for now).

The Title header is being used since the report has multiple pages and we have a seperate header for page 1.  It retains  a formal look since it ultimately goes on to investors and other outside groups.  As for a leading grand summary, initially I experimented with it to try and break up the sections of data; and to get a summary calc.  It has since been deleted but I was curious about the affect you described below.

• 4. Re: Reports-
                philmodjunk

With over a hundred fields/record as your report, I'm assuming that you need to place multiple rows of data into from each record into your layout. That's an easy, but tedious thing to do. Enter layout mode and simply use the field tool to add each field to your layout in the arrangement you need in the body of your report. The body part can be resized to expand or shrink it to hold your data. If you then return to browse mode and and select the view as list option, you should get a table like view of your data with multiple rows of data from each record in your current found set.

Perhaps you've done this already and it doesn't work for you. If so, please explain.

• 5. Re: Reports-
                  keycoachjohn

Thanks for the quick reply.

You are correct, we're definitely talking multiple rows of data.  Unfortunately, the found set has one record but a ton of information about that one item. I'm ok with the placement of fields into the layout, it is tedious to select each one, one by one.  The real challenge, the actual placement of a field in an orderly grid (4-5 columns across) is what I'm trying to achieve.  I can make a box, create several vertical lines, several horizontal lines and group it; am tying to see if there's an easier way.

Typically, examples in FM books and such use a "contact" database- which, while in "view as list" each record may represent three lines.  In my case, each record will require about 100+ lines (per record) and in the legacy excel format that I'm trying to duplicate the fields are placed in a grid/spreadsheet (trying to avoid the word "table").  Make sense?

• 6. Re: Reports-
                    keycoachjohn

Hi TSGAL,

I realized you weighed in before the string with PhilModJunk started.  Thanks for the pointer on Leading Grand Summary...I don't think I can close the point since we have another string happening in parallel-wanted to recognize your post though. 

• 7. Re: Reports-
                      philmodjunk

You are aware that you can place fields side by side to make a horizontal row of data just like your spread sheet?

What I'm picturing is:

[Field 1       ][Field 2     ][Field 3     ] ... [Field N       ]

[Field N+1    ][Field N + 2] ......

This gives you multiple rows of fields for each record--which can be aligned in columns. I don't see how that becomes "100+ lines (per record)".

Then, in view as list mode, you can scroll vertically through your data just like a spreadsheet would.

• 8. Re: Reports-
                        keycoachjohn

Yes- thanks, I've been aligning the data manually using the t-bar.  Talking this through has helped me narrow the real question to something quite a bit simpler...how to superimpose a grid to align an upper left corner without manually creating a grid? 

• 9. Re: Reports-
                          philmodjunk
                             You might find it easier to just drop all the fields in their approximate locations and then use the field alignment palette to select all the fields in the same column and then choose align left in one step to clean things up.