1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 7, 2012 7:32 AM by philmodjunk

Reports: Avoiding Page Breaks within Grouped Records

GrahamRedman

Title

Reports: Avoiding Page Breaks within Grouped Records

Dear Filemaker Users

Re: Filemaker Pro 11 v3

Does anybody have any ideas as to how I might resolve the issue of avoiding page breaks at inconvenient points when printing out a report?

I have produced a database containing a number of names and addresses, grouped under SURNAME and ADDRESS. Within that group are other members who live at the same address, but often the page breaks occurs in the middle the group.

As an example -

Record 1.    AMOS: The Boulevard

David

Record 2.    BROWN: 16 James Ave

Maureen

Record 3.    REDMAN:  High Street

John

Mary

----------PAGE BREAK-------------

David

Chloe

Record 4.    SMITH:  17 The Avenue

Joan

In this example, I would like the page break to occur after record 2, and before the REDMAN group starts.

The way I am getting round it at the momement is to alter the header and footer margins together with the spacing between records  -  however this is very much hit and miss affair, and it only works with a relatively few number of records.

Any help would be much appreciated.  Many thaks

Graham Redman

Tel:  01903 260568

• 1. Re: Reports: Avoiding Page Breaks within Grouped Records
          philmodjunk

Unfortunately, there is no simple way to manage this in FileMaker. If you do not use sliding fields in your report, it is at least theoretically possible to do by counting records and groups and computing how many will "fit" on a given page and using a nearly invisible sub summary part to force the page break where you want it. But it's not a simpe thing to develop for your report.

Not allowing groups to break across pages or better yet, specifying a minimum number of grouped records that can exist on either side of the break would be a great improvement to FileMaker's ability to produce professional looking summary reports.