1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 1:54 PM by philmodjunk

request for pointers in putting together a report writing application

CHRISNEWMAN

Title

request for pointers in putting together a report writing application

Hello
           I currently write long reports for work, which have a lot of standard text in them - but the standard text varies according to the client's history.

I want to create a report writing application for myself, composed of series of yes/no/maybe buttons
           and depending on whether I click yes/no/maybe in each section, a different segment of text is inserted into the report.

ideally the application would be able to insert, or create, formatted text - such as headings, bullet point lists etc - I would need to be able to export this report into Word

I started out by making a table, with each section being a different field, and the various paragraph options as different cells in the field, but I am stuck at present on the basic functionality of "click button , insert text"

any pointers very gratefully received.
           Chris

• 1. Re: request for pointers in putting together a report writing application
          philmodjunk

A button can use either

Set Field

or one of several script steps that start with "insert" to insert text into a field. You also have a step named "Paste" that can do this, but don't go there, it's not a good option for this.

Set Field can do it all, but if you are attempting to add text to the text already present in a field or, more complicated, insert the text at the cursor position, which might be in the middle of the text already present, you may want to use one of the Insert script steps as they will insert text at the cursor's insertion point if you do not specify a target field for the insert. To do the same with Set Field requires some additional scripting to determine the position of the cursor and whether any text in that field is currently selected.

I don't expect this demo file to come very close to the full system that you want, but it may provide you with some ideas along with buttons that insert text into a text field when they are clicked:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xw8buafjuohncu/MessageTemplateBuilder.fp7