AnsweredAssumed Answered

Research Lab Manager needs help please!

Question asked by ZanB on Jan 30, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 30, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

Research Lab Manager needs help please!

I am brand new to FileMaker: I have gone through some provided tutorials and many PDFs, but I am new to programming and creating databases, so I'd love help!

I work in a psychology research lab at my university. I have been tasked with creating a database for experiments. Information included will be: an ID number for each control and experimental group participant, demographics for each individual, consent forms with corresponding date of consent and which form was completed, a variety of questionnaires completed with the date completed-linked to each participant, and the last date they participated-linked to the results of their last completed questionnaire(s). 

I know this is a multi-layer concern, but I have been unsuccessful in my search for similar templates/forum posts/tutorials. 

My main concerns are:

1. keeping layouts/relationships as compact as possible. The database needs to have simple accessibility for any undergraduate lab workers entering data. Which leads me to the next question:

2. Is it possible to make a field within a field (or something comparable)? To illustrate: I want to have a layout sorted by particiapnt ID, and would like to be able to click on a "Questionnaires" field, but want it to contain data from any questionnaire they have taken, along with the date taken. 

3. Further temporal linkage: my boss wants me to link everything temporally. For example, I'm supposed to find a way to readily identify what medication a participant reported on a certain day, and also find how to display day to day changes within a participant's questionnaire answers. 

I know this is a lot, but I am getting very discouraged and don't know what to do. Any and all help/suggestions are appreciated! Thank you.

Outcomes