1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 30, 2013 10:04 AM by philmodjunk

Research Lab Manager needs help please!

ZanB

Title

Research Lab Manager needs help please!

I am brand new to FileMaker: I have gone through some provided tutorials and many PDFs, but I am new to programming and creating databases, so I'd love help!

I work in a psychology research lab at my university. I have been tasked with creating a database for experiments. Information included will be: an ID number for each control and experimental group participant, demographics for each individual, consent forms with corresponding date of consent and which form was completed, a variety of questionnaires completed with the date completed-linked to each participant, and the last date they participated-linked to the results of their last completed questionnaire(s). 

I know this is a multi-layer concern, but I have been unsuccessful in my search for similar templates/forum posts/tutorials. 

My main concerns are:

1. keeping layouts/relationships as compact as possible. The database needs to have simple accessibility for any undergraduate lab workers entering data. Which leads me to the next question:

2. Is it possible to make a field within a field (or something comparable)? To illustrate: I want to have a layout sorted by particiapnt ID, and would like to be able to click on a "Questionnaires" field, but want it to contain data from any questionnaire they have taken, along with the date taken. 

3. Further temporal linkage: my boss wants me to link everything temporally. For example, I'm supposed to find a way to readily identify what medication a participant reported on a certain day, and also find how to display day to day changes within a participant's questionnaire answers. 

I know this is a lot, but I am getting very discouraged and don't know what to do. Any and all help/suggestions are appreciated! Thank you.

• 1. Re: Research Lab Manager needs help please!
          philmodjunk

2. This sounds like setting up a portal. A portal is a kind of "window" into a related table where you can display and edit data from multiple related records such as a list of questions and answers from a survey or questionaire.

3. That one's a bit too vague for a detailed answer, but this is definitely possible if you design the appropriate tables, relationships and layouts.

You may find this thread on Surveys useful as a way to get started managing your multiple questionaires: Need aid on generating a report from a survey layout.