5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 12:24 PM by GuyStevens

Reservation checking and sheduling - multiple days + time

GuyStevens

Title

Reservation checking and sheduling - multiple days + time

I created a Reservation / Sheduling solution in our Filemaker system.

We rent equipment and the idea is that you can give in a start date and an end date and get all the items that are free in that period.

As an example i used the Nightwing booking system:

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos7/demo705.html

What is does is make a NumRange (custom function) of all the dates the item is booked.

Now this system is working pretty good but my colleague came up with a good point.

What if an item gets returned in the morning and leaves again in the afternoon?

They suggested some sort of AM / PM option. But I think it might be easier to work with timestamps and actually fill out the hour.

However with the time added it's obviously no longer possible to use the NumRange. You can't list every day + 24 hours a day.

In my system you had the following options:

- Add / remove bookable items
      - Check the bookings to see what was booked between a date range
      - Check the availabilities between a date range.
      - And I hade made a "Calendar view' with 7 portals. But that is pretty slow and that won't work with the hours added.

Now the Calendar view is not the most important thing for me.

But checking availabilities is.

I am aware of PhilModJunk's suggestion of checking for sheduling conflicts with relationships. I am not sure if I tried that while I was making this system but I believe this checking trough relationships was working a little slow.

Anyway I'm going to give it another try.

Anyone have any ideas?