3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2014 2:24 PM by philmodjunk

Resize Body When 2nd Field is Empty

ABuchtel

Title

Resize Body When 2nd Field is Empty

Hi. I've attached a screenshot of my layout. This is a Sub-Summary report where there are multiple Items per Event. Ideally, I want only the fields that are not empty to print. In other words, in the Body, there's always an ItemTitle that will print, but often not ItemDetails. When ItemDetails is Empty, I want to eliminate the space it takes up (so there's no "extra" white space between Records).  I've tried setting Sliding, but it doesn't seem to do what I want it to. Is there something clever someone can suggest that I might try? Thank you. 

• 1. Re: Resize Body When 2nd Field is Empty
          philmodjunk

For printing, preview mode or Save as PDF (but not for Browse Mode), Sliding fields should do exactly what you need. and there will be no need for the new "hide object when" setting in order to do this if you wan this sliding to take place only when ItemDetails is empty.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15.           In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
          • 2. Re: Resize Body When 2nd Field is Empty
            ABuchtel

Aha!  I totally see now. I got wrapped up in editing, and hadn't tested the "Save as PDF" to see that sliding works. Thank you SO very much!

• 3. Re: Resize Body When 2nd Field is Empty
              philmodjunk

A quicker way is just to switch to preview mode.