3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2010 1:18 PM by philmodjunk

Resizing a form

Scruff

Title

Resizing a form

This has to be simple.

I have a form that essentially has two fields on it.  When I open that form I don't want it to take up the whole field, in fact, I want it to float on top of the other data until I'm done and can close it out.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to resize a form.

• 1. Re: Resizing a form
          davidanders

OS? FMP ver?

Are you saying you have a layout that you want to open in a separate window?

There is a script step that can do that, how well it works depends on the Operating System. (as well as a menu selection)

Having it float over other windows is not possible. Clicking on one of three open windows will bring the active one to the front.

• 2. Re: Resizing a form
            Scruff

-- Head Smack --

Windows XP

Filemaker Pro Version 11

when I click on the form, it takes up the whole screen, even though there are only two fields.  I would like the form to be a much smaller size

• 3. Re: Resizing a form
              philmodjunk

Having it float over other windows is not possible. Clicking on one of three open windows will bring the active one to the front.

Depends on what you mean by "float". You can keep such a window to the front by making the other windows insensitive to user interaction until this "floating" window is closed--simulating a modal dialog box. This can be done with some careful scripting that includes an infinite loop and buttons and/or custom menu options that use halt script to interrupt the loop when the floating window is to be dismissed.

If that sounds like what you want, download a free copy of the Known Bugs List database. Clicking the Find, Modify Find, New or Edit buttons on the main layout all pop up such windows, using scripts done with only native FileMaker scripts and includes code to handle the windows differently on Windows systems to minimize the affects of an annoying window resize that kicks in when you open a new window when the main window is maximized.