AnsweredAssumed Answered

Resizing a Portal depending on the number of related records -- Possible?

Question asked by gczychi on Jul 28, 2011
Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Resizing a Portal depending on the number of related records -- Possible?

Hi,

I have a list of all computers in a company. I have a list of all software licenses bought in that company. And I have a list of all user accounts that exist in that company. All three tables are related (in the form view of the computer table I intend to have a portal with which I can choose the appropriate software license records and another portal where I can create new records in the user accounts table).

Now, my goal is to have a list of all computers that contains in the first row the computer data (like machine name, serial number, etc) and then below, a list of all installed software on this computer and below this list, a list of all user accounts on that computer.  Then the next computer should be listed in the same way. Both the software licenses list and the user accoutns list can have anything between 1 to 30 lines.

But: As far as i know, portals cannot be automatically resized so that they show different numbers of lines depending on the related records. So how can I possibly accomplish this?  (I would know how to do it in MySql, but FileMaker is a litle bit trickier ;-)

Thanks a lot for any help.

Gary

· 

The list should look this way:

«COMPUTER 1», «Serial number», «Hardware Specifics», «etc.»

Installed Software: «OSX 10.6», «License key», «Installation Date», etc.

«iWork 09», «License Key», «Installation Date», etc.

«FileMaker Pro Advanced 11», «License Key», «Installation Date», etc.

User accounts:       «Admin», «Name of User», «Privileges»

«Station1», «Name of User», «Privileges»

«COMPUTER 2», «Serial number», «Hardware Specifics», «etc.»

Installed Software: «OSX 10.5», «License key», «Installation Date», etc.

«iWork 09», «License Key», «Installation Date», etc.

«FileMaker Pro 11», «License Key», «Installation Date», etc.

User accounts:       «Admin», «Name of User», «Privileges»

«Station2», «Name of User», «Privileges»

Outcomes