2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2012 5:38 PM by KatG

Resizing blank space

KatG

Title

Resizing blank space

Hello

I have a made a report with many text portals. I have been able to format the fields so as to remove the blank space with the sliding up and left features on most of the portal fields. One fthe fields is approx 20 lines long, and in the preview it will resize down to about 5 lines even when there is only one line of text entered into the field. There are similarly sized fields at the beginning of the layout that do resize appropriately, I have checked the alignment/ positioning in the inspector and all of the settings are the same as the fields that do resize properly, I have tried the diffferent combinations of "all objects above" etc, I have checked and unchecked "also resize enclosing part" I even created an addtional field in the child table with dummy records and that new field would not fully resize either. I shifted the fields that did resize down and I inserted the field that was not resizing above those where the format was working and it did resize at that point, so I thought it had to be a problem with the underlying layout but I can't make sense out of it. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Thanks, the help is greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Resizing blank space
          philmodjunk

Fields set to slide and resize can be tricky to work with at times. A field or a portal can appear empty, but actually contain returns or spaces in the field or related records with empty field in the portal and then they will not shrink to the point expected. That would be the first thing to check. (And this ma;y result in it appearing to work on one record and not another as the problem characters or blank related records may not be present in both cases.)

I shifted the fields that did resize down and I inserted the field that was not resizing above those where the format was working and it did resize at that point,

What do you see on the screen that tells you that the field did not resize? Does it have visible borders or does it appear not to resize because there is an object below it that didn't resize. Is this a multi-line field inside a portal that won't resize? This is a known limitation with sliding objects on a layout and one reason why developers try not to print from layouts that contain portals if they can come up with an alternative approach.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          2. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          3. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          4. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          5. Container fields will slide only if Top, Left alignment is specified for it in the data formatting section of the Inspector's data tab.
          6. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          • 2. Re: Resizing blank space
            KatG

Thank you Phil

I remade the report from the nonportal layout using all of your tips above. Worked like a charm. When I have multiple fields on one line, I insert a colored line and extend it beyond the last field and then set the line line ot slide up as well. this helps zero in on what field isn't sliding. When I am satisfied with that i go back and change the line color to "white" so it is visible to the computer but does not get printed. fro whatever reason, the "hide when printing" didn't work the way I needed it to.

Thanks again!

Kat