8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2010 10:12 AM by 2W0PWR

Resizing my DB

2W0PWR

Title

Resizing my DB

Hi,

Can anyone help? I am fairly new to FM and my Brother helped me build my DB using Filemaker Pro 11. I now have an iPad and downloaded the App and added the DB to the App.

My problem is I don't like the size of the layout on the iPad. It's more noticeable in Landscape mode. Is there a way of changing the size of the layout to fit the iPad screen size? I have uploaded a pic of my DB and am wondering how to move the dotted line to the right to allow me to expand the DB?

Regards,

Dave

Screen_shot_2010-12-29_at_16.11.38.png

• 1. Re: Resizing my DB
          philmodjunk

You'll find there's documentation from FileMaker Inc. that documents the optimum size for iPad and iPhone. Generally, you have to duplicate your layout and edit the layout to optimize it for the mobile device you plan to use. Then use scripts to select the layout that's suitable for your device (There's a get function that can determine that the current device is an iPad or an iPhone so that this can happen automatically.)

You might want to visit the FileMaker Go forum (See tab at top of your screen) for more details on these issues.

• 2. Re: Resizing my DB
            2W0PWR

Is there no way of moving the dotted line across the page to widen the DB? Sorry, i'm not sure if its a silly question. I don't know a great deal of FM

Dave

• 3. Re: Resizing my DB
              philmodjunk

The dotted line simply indicates the limit to which FileMaker prints given the current printer setup. Use print set up to change page size or orientation and you'll see that this line moves accordingly, but your layout dimensions will remain unchanged.

• 4. Re: Resizing my DB
                2W0PWR

Hi Phil,

Is there anyway to change the Layout dimensions?

I ran an auto fit script the other month and it made the DB look silly. I have just had a look at creating a script but cant seam to find anything which would help.

I mainly use the DB on the iPad in landscape mode so I wouldn't mind if it meant it was the only way I could view it to fit on the page. I do have an iPhone and hardly use that for FM.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge,

Dave

• 5. Re: Resizing my DB
                  philmodjunk

Not in a script.

You can only make these changes while in layout mode. That's why I'm telling you to create new layouts just for your iPad.

You also have to consider that just scaling your layout small enough to fit on your iPad will result in text that is too small to read easily. You'll need to redsign your layouts to make better use of the available space and this is likely to require more than just changing the dimensions and spacing of your layout objects.

• 6. Re: Resizing my DB
                    2W0PWR

How would I create new layouts? Start from fresh and input all the data?

• 7. Re: Resizing my DB
                      philmodjunk

I'd enter layout mode, select Duplicate Layout from the Layouts menu and then re-design from there.

And you shouldn't have to input any "data" just to create a new layout...

• 8. Re: Resizing my DB
                        2W0PWR

Hi Phil,

Thank you so much for you're help and suggestions. I think the way forward is to create a new layout although I'll have to ask my brother to help. I have just found the anchor options within the inspector and am playing about with them.

Thats how limited my knowledge of FM is,

Seasons Greetings and Thanks again,

Dave