3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2013 2:15 AM by DoubleDee

Restrict viewing of entered records

DavidHowell

Title

Restrict viewing of entered records

I'm trying to devise a way for users to enter data on an IWP layout and then, once submitted, restrict the viewing of that and any other previously entered records.

The data entered is privileged (it's a subscription containing private info). After the record is entered/committed, I don't want that person to be able to view records that have previously been entered by others. I'm trying not to replicate the entered record into another table and then delete the entered record from the original table. It appears that deleting records is unwise.

• 1. Re: Restrict viewing of entered records
          philmodjunk

Use a layout with global fields for entering data for a new record.

Put a "submit" button on that layout to perform a script that creates a new record and copies the data from the global fields into corresponding fields in the new record. Then have the script clear the fields.

• 2. Re: Restrict viewing of entered records
            DavidHowell

Many thanks, Phil.   enlightened

• 3. Re: Restrict viewing of entered records
              DoubleDee

So how did that script work out, David? It's a brilliant solution, Phil! - but I can't seem to write one that works that way in IWP. I can make it do everything just fine in FMP, but in IWP it keeps pasting the data from the first field over and over into every single field. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been trying to figure how to do a registration site for over a year.

I'm using FMP11 and the script I'm using to test is:

Copy [Select; Contacts::First Name Global]

Go to Layout ["main" (Contacts)]

New Record/Request

Paste [Select; Contacts::First Name]

Go to Layout ["entry" (Contacts)]

Copy [Select; Contacts::Last Name Global]

Go to Layout ["main" (Contacts)]

Paste [Select; Contacts::Last Name]

Go to Layout ["entry" (Contacts)]

Clear [Select; Contacts::First Name Global]

Clear [Select; Contacts::Last Name Global]

Go to Layout ["roster" (Class)]  

These are all compatible with web pub, or so it says. When I'm done, I have  the first name in both first and last name fields but everything else works fine. And like I said, I get both names correct in FMP.

@PhilModJunk