5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2013 8:13 AM by philmodjunk

Restricting privileges for a single tab within a tab control

JoanneGoldberg

Title

Restricting privileges for a single tab within a tab control

I have created read-only access to our TMP DB for a particular department and I want them to be able to view everything except for one of the tabs on a tab control in the DB.  Is there any way of restricting access to this one tab?

• 1. Re: Restricting privileges for a single tab within a tab control
          ninja

A common way to do this is to drop an invisible box over the tab control and have that box run a script that checks Privileges and steers to the object, or to somewhere else if permission is not appropriate.

Another way is to allow people to go to that tab, but to restrict access field by field (note that this method is a bit more complex that "View Only in all tables".

• 2. Re: Restricting privileges for a single tab within a tab control
            JoanneGoldberg

Hi Ninja,

First off, thanks for your comment on sorting, I've got that figured out now (numbers vs. text, didn't think of that!) though I'm finding the restricting fields a little more challenging.

Okay, I think I've got this but I'm not sure:  I create a custom privilege set for the staff group whose view of selected fields I want to limit.  In the Edit Privilege Set box, I got to Records>Custom Record Privileges>[select underlying table]>fields>limited>  and select the fields one-by-one for no-access.  Is that correct?

Joanne

• 3. Re: Restricting privileges for a single tab within a tab control
              SteveMartino

Question for Ninja.....does 'invisible box" idea work if the fields in that panel are in the tab order? (just wondering)

• 4. Re: Restricting privileges for a single tab within a tab control
                ninja

Hi Steve,

Great question...and the answer is "No/Yes"...if the fields are still in the tab order, hitting the tab key can take you to that place you aren't supposed to be.  The button would still work, but it would not prohibit the user from tabbing to the field.

The "invisble box" is a great convenience to avoid going to a place where the fields frustratingly say <no access>, but it does not replace the benefit of actually limiting access through accounts&Privileges.  As a rule, accounts and privileges should be managed within the FMP accounts area.  Every other trick outside of this should be seen as convenience.

As a rule, users will try to go everywhere you want them to stay away from ;)  such is life.

• 5. Re: Restricting privileges for a single tab within a tab control
                  philmodjunk

In FileMaker 11 and older, the OnOBjectModify script trigger can be set for a tab control. Then getLayoutObjectAttribute can be used within the script to identify which script was clicked and go to object can be used to return the focus to the original tab panel if the user is not permitted access to that tab.

In FIleMaker 12, there are new script triggers and get functions that make accomplish the same results, but in much simpler fashion.