6 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2013 12:44 PM by CarlisleLandel

Retaining text formatting as pasted.

CarlisleLandel

Title

Retaining text formatting as pasted.

I have a text field that I would like to display text in the formatting in which it was pasted in.  I have text strings that look like this:

TCTCCCGcTTGGGAGAGGGTGAAGAAACGTGGCAGAGAACACAAGAGACGCA

and I'd like to be able to retain that color scheme.

Is it possible?  How?

Thanks,

Carlisle

• 1. Re: Retaining text formatting as pasted.
          philmodjunk

Use a mac instead of windows.

or stay with windows and upgrade to Filemaker 12.

Windows/FileMaker 11 and older pastes the text unformatted.

• 2. Re: Retaining text formatting as pasted.
            CarlisleLandel

Hi Phil,

This is a FMP 12 database on Server.  I'm in a mixed Mac + Windows environment.  As you suggested, formatting is preserved on a Mac (thanks for the reminder--I'm a Mac user so was confused as to why it wasn't working for my Windows-using colleague).  

Is there a solution for Windows users?  

I have yet to test whether a Windows user will see the formatting if entered by a Mac user.

Thanks,

Carlisle

• 3. Re: Retaining text formatting as pasted.
              philmodjunk

I'm confused too. When I paste into FileMaker 12 on my windows systems, the pasted text retains the format...

Hmmm...

just ran a quick test and got some interesting results. In the screen shot shown, I pasted the formatted text from your post into MSWord, then copied and pasted into the field shown and got the correctly formatted text shown in the first row. I then used the return key to create a space, copied from my web browser again and pasted one more time--directly into the field.

Notice that while the blue formatting was retained, the red color was not. sad

This suggests that some of the meta data formatting the text survives the paste into FileMaker and some does not...

Since the data pastes correctly into MS Word, I must assume that this is a (new to me) bug worthy of a post in Report an Issue.

I'll be reporting this in Report an Issue shortly...

• 4. Re: Retaining text formatting as pasted.
                CarlisleLandel

Bugs, Mr. Rico!

OK, I'll do some more intensive testing here, too.  We are trying to grab formatting off of a web site query output.  Cut and paste works fine into Word and Excel in both Mac and Windows.  

Thanks for your help!

• 5. Re: Retaining text formatting as pasted.
                  philmodjunk

Then at least a copy/paste to Word followed by a copy/paste from Word to FileMaker might serve as a work around...

• 6. Re: Retaining text formatting as pasted.
                    CarlisleLandel

Yeah, I was thinking that it might work.  I need to wait for a free Windows machine.  I'll let you know!