4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 8:58 AM by BetoBoton

Retrieve Form data to Filemaker Database

BetoBoton

Title

Retrieve Form data to Filemaker Database

What I want to achieve is:

1- Define the best type of Form students will use.

I don't know what method would be the best to import into a FMP database.

PDF Form?

PHP Online?

Simple HTML to email forms and red the emails inside FMP (somehow...)?

Something I don't even know and it's a killer app? 

Which way it will be "as easy as it can be" for example, to handle 30 students filling 10 forms each and sending them to be processed by my DB? (These are the results of tests from students in a class)

2 - The main goal is to automate scoring of tests and email response with the conseqent course of action based on the achieved results.

I'm still using and getting excelent results with FMP 9 ADV (maybe I'll upgrade when 11 comes up...)

Thanks a lot for any input , I'm confused to wht to do.

Beto

• 1. Re: Retrieve Form data to Filemaker Database
          TSGal

BetoBoton:

Thank you for your post.

If you are using FileMaker Pro, you can use Instant Web Publishing to have up to five concurrent users entering information into your database file.  If you need more than five concurrent web users, then you'll need FileMaker Server Advanced.

For #1, it means to create a form that will be easy for your users (students) to enter in information.

For #2, you can create reports that display the results of the tests, averages, totals, etc.

This will work fine in FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced as well as FileMaker Pro 10.

Please let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Retrieve Form data to Filemaker Database
            BetoBoton

Hello TSGal

First, thank you very much for your post. It is probably what I need, "simultaneous" 5 users is great.

Secondly I confess I konw absolutely nothing, zilch, nada  about Instant Web Publishing. I'll check if I can find some documentation...

I hope I don't need to keep my FMP running on my machine connected to my web server all the time, since my hosting services do not allow me to keep connected to a MySQL DB, which was my first idea to do this, and conect to my FMP locally.

Anyway I'll be back here as soon as I understand a bit more about Instant Web Publishing.

If you can point me to some "tutorial for dummies" will be great! 

Cheers

Beto Boton 

• 3. Re: Retrieve Form data to Filemaker Database
              TSGal

BetoBoton:

For more information about Instant Web Publishing, you can read the documentation that came with FileMaker Pro 9, or you can view it online at:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/docs/9/fm9_instant_web_publish_en.pdf

You need is a machine with a static IP Address, and FileMaker Pro must be running for others to access it via Instant Web Publishing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Retrieve Form data to Filemaker Database
                BetoBoton

Thank you very much.

It is a fantastic tool.

Unfortunately Brazil is not well served in terms of ISPs.

NET one of the main ISPs in Brazil doesn't offer static IPs to individuals which is at least "primitive" if not mean.

Well it is not a FMP issue anymore...

Regards