2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 7:47 PM by AlexPineau

Retrieve Records Using a Drop Down or Pop Up Menu?

AlexPineau

Title

Retrieve Records Using a Drop Down or Pop Up Menu?

I've been having some troubles with what seems to be a simple task.  Forgive me if the solution is clear as glass.

I've been using drop down menus for data entry, which is wonderful, but I want to be able to use a drop down for record retrieval.  For example, I have a brands table and an orders table which includes a season field and an order type field.  I want to have controls on my layout so my users can select the Brand and/or Season and/or Order Type.  Filemaker should then give me a list of all orders corresponding to those drop down entries. 

Essentially, how the heck do I get Filemaker to know that my drop down box is a find selector, and not a data input?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Retrieve Records Using a Drop Down or Pop Up Menu?
          philmodjunk

Essentially, how the heck do I get Filemaker to know that my drop down box is a find selector, and not a data input?

FileMaker "Knows" by the window mode that you are in. If you are in Browse mode, selecting from the drop down will enter data. If you are in Find mode, selecting from the same drop down specifies find criteria on that field.

Thus, the simplest way to do what you want is to click the Find button in the Tool bar, select from one or more of your drop downs and then click the same button again.

More sophisticated options use a script to search your database. In those cases, you often do not use the same drop down, but add a new field with global storage for each drop down where you can specify your search criteria in browse mode, then you click a button and the script uses the data in the global fields to perform the find for you. You can find examples of this method here: Scripted Find Examples

• 2. Re: Retrieve Records Using a Drop Down or Pop Up Menu?
            AlexPineau

Concise and exactly the information I needed.  Thank you for the link.