3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2008 11:00 AM by Jens Teich

Retrieving a FileMaker data

dkroemer

Title

Retrieving a FileMaker data

I bought an eMac in 2004 to replaced a Mac that had Filemaker Pro 7 on it. I did not install the Filemaker Pro on the eMac, but the eMac has a FileMaker data base with telephone numbers on it. I want to retrieve this data base. I tried to install FileMaker program and I have the upgrade disk for Filemaker 7 and all of the installation codes. I could not do it because my codes were wrong for some reason. Can anyone help me? I'm not interested in getting FileMaker up and running on my eMac. I just want to see the data base to get the names and telephone numbers.

• 1. Re: Retrieving a FileMaker data
          Jens Teich
             There is no need to install any software on the old Mac. Just look for the database file with '.fp7' extension and open this file on your new computer.

Rereading your posting it is possible that it is a fp5 of fp3 file on the eMac. This is no problem. Transfer this file to your new computer and open it with FileMaker. It will be automaticly converted if neccessary.

Jens

• 2. Re: Retrieving a FileMaker data
            dkroemer
               I'm afraid I don't follow. I have located the file. It has no extension, or I don't know how to expose the extensions. Perhaps when I saved I saved it without the extension. I don't have FileMaker installed in any computers. All I have is the program on a disk and all of the codes that are supposed to give me the right to install FileMaker. 
            • 3. Re: Retrieving a FileMaker data
              Jens Teich
                 I offer to have a look at the file. I will tell nobody about the contents :)

Stuff it as ZIP archive and send it by mail to info(at)jensteich(.)de. I see wether I can convert it to Excel for you.

Jens