5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2015 8:58 PM by philmodjunk

Return field content

OlalekanOnitiju

Title

Return field content

I have 2 layouts (data entry and Report),data entry contains 3 fields (2 with valuelist and 1 numeric). I have another calculation field in report layout that I want it to show the total amount of numeric field from data entry layout if the 2 other fields contain specific contents. E.g. Record 1: Field "week"=1, Field "Service"=Prayer, Field "Amount"=3000. Record 2: Field "week"=1, Field "Service"=Thanksgiving, Field "Amount"=2000. I want the summation of 3000 and 2000 of Fiels "amount" to appear in Report layout as "calculation"=5000m Thank you

• 1. Re: Return field content
          philmodjunk

Are the two layouts based on the same table occurrence? (If you open layout setup and check "Show Records From" do you have the same name selected?)

How will you determine which records to summarize into this total? All records in the layout 1 table? Just Some records?

There are a number of different methods for computing such a total, but which method is the correct option depends both on the design of your database and what result you want to compute.

• 2. Re: Return field content
            OlalekanOnitiju
             Thank you Phill, In the Layout Setup, I there is the same name in  "Show Records From". I have more than 3 fields in the data entry layout but 3 are to use to determine the total into calculation field in Report layout. Note, I want the report layout to be READ ONLY where the computation based on the records from data entry layout. Thank you
            • 3. Re: Return field content
              philmodjunk

But WHICH records? All records? just certain records that meet some specified criteria?

A summary field can be defined that computes the total of your field, but will compute the total based on all records in your current found set. That may or may not be the records needed to produce the total that you want.

• 4. Re: Return field content
                OlalekanOnitiju
                 I found solution to it, though it took many steps. 1. I used case() to deduce the values that make the criteria; 2. I then created another summary field to sum the figures from the records. Thanks
                • 5. Re: Return field content
                  philmodjunk

There are better ways to do that. Note that I asked for more information and you did not share it and thus, I have not discussed how you might get such sub totals by category.