2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2013 5:44 AM by robbybutler

Returning Portal count

aammondd

Title

Returning Portal count

I was looking but is there a way to display the total count of portal records.

I am looking to display a Shown 1-n of nn with some navigation rather than a vertical scroll bar.

(I have some large related sets of data)

Is there an example of this kind of thing somewhere.

Is it even worth it due to portal resets?

• 1. Re: Returning Portal count
          philmodjunk

Well a calculation field with Count ( PortalTableOccurrence::NeveremptyField ) will display your total count of related records--thus the total records in your portal at any given time.

I've used a number of portal filtering strategies to prune down the total number of records visible at one time. (To select another group of records for viewing/editing, you select a different value in a drop down that's part of the filtering or click a button that performs a script that changes a filter field's value.)

• 2. Re: Returning Portal count
            robbybutler

In March, 2013 Soliant Consulting published Sara Severson's excellent script for dynamically filtering portal results (capability introduced in FM11) as users type into a global field:

http://www.soliantconsulting.com/blog/2013/03/dynamically-filtering-filtered-portals

I too had the impulse to display a count of the results, and added two lines to her script to set $$Filtered_Portal_Count as the filter is updated:

Between Sara's two lines:

Set Field by Name [$field ; Evaluate ($field)] // Refresh portal without flicker

Go to Object [Object Name: $filter] // Return to global filter field

Nowadays, such a variable can be merged into a layout without the creation of a field!