2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2013 1:54 PM by JimBessette

Reverse sort a drop-down list?

JimBessette

Title

Reverse sort a drop-down list?

I have a drop down list that consists of a Key and a second field that is a Code.   In my table where this code resides, I already have a calculated field, SortCriteria that is the result of parsing this code.  It ends up being year, month and a letter/number combination.  For example a Code of  AA07/14/2A ends up with SortCriteria being 2014072A (The AA part is not relevant.)  I still will have 20th century Codes:  AA07/93/2A.  That becomes 1993072A of course.

My current drop down must use the key field value, and show the secondary field of Code.  I've created another calculated field that is a combination of SortCriteria and Code (having to show both).

I can't seem to find a way to sort in reverse order.  What happens is all my oldest codes (early year) are on top, when I want exactly the opposite.  Ideally, I wouldn't show the SortCriteria part at all, and just have the Codes sorted - in reverse order.

Any tricks or suggestions on how to accomplish that would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

• 1. Re: Reverse sort a drop-down list?
          philmodjunk

I'm still answering questions in terms of FileMaker 12. You never know how my answers might change as I become more familiar with FileMaker 13...

Unfortunately, Values lists that list values from a field are always sorted in ascending order. Sometimes one can set up an invisible sort field where the field has varying numbers of space characters to get a different order, but this only works for small numbers of values and only when you don't need that second field for other purposes.

To get a reverse order of selectable values may require using a different interface design such as a portal that shows the list of values set up with a button in the portal row that is clicked to select a value and enter it into the correct field. Such a portal or even just a list view layout can be popped up in a small floating window for this purpose.

• 2. Re: Reverse sort a drop-down list?
            JimBessette

Hmmm, I was thinking about a portal, since you can sort that.   I'll have to give that some thought.  What's funny is, this is a drop down IN a portal already!