3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2010 2:09 PM by philmodjunk

Rookie needs help . . . formatting? I'm sorry, not sure what to call it . . .

markjennb

Title

Rookie needs help . . . formatting? I'm sorry, not sure what to call it . . .

1. The version of FileMaker Pro you are using. FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3

2. The operating system and version you are using. Mac OS X 10.5.8

3. Describe as much detail about your database as is pertinent to your question.  Otherwise, other forum participants will have to guess and/or ask for more information.

My database consists of 5 columns (Number, Name, Text, Text, Drop-down menu)...the last column is chosen via a drop down menu with 8 choices. 

4. Give examples of what you are trying to accomplish, but can't.  For example, how you want a report to list information, what related information is not showing, etc.  This can really help the responder(s) when they suggest a solution.

Once the last column is chosen, I need all other entries that have the same number in the 1st column (Number) to change to the same choice in the drop down column. So the user picks "Day One" from the drop-down menu which has a number 88 in the 1st column, I need all other items that have an 88 in the first column to automatically change to "Day One" also.

5. Try to indicate your level of experience with FileMaker and/or other database designs.  If the person responding to your post knows that you are a newer user, they can give a more detailed step by step description. Rookie, in way over my head . . . 

6. Please indicate whether your database file is being shared over a network, or being published to the web via either Instant Web Publishing (IWP) or Custom Web Publishing (CWP). Not being shared

Thank you to anybody who can help, it is really appreciated!

Jenn

• 1. Re: Rookie needs help . . . formatting? I'm sorry, not sure what to call it . . .
          philmodjunk

Creating a parent record where one record stores "Day One" for all records with 88 in the number field is likely your best bet here.

That requires defining a second table and linking the two tables.

The other approach is to write a script that a) finds all records with the same number and b) uses replace field contents to update them all with the newly selected value. That's most likely not good database design though there's a lot we don't know about your database and what you want to do here.

Using two tables:

Open Manage | Database | Tables and define a new table, I'll call it "Days".

Define two fields in it: Number, and DayLabel

Click the relationships tag and drag from Days::Number to the number field in your original table in order to relate them.

Click OK and create one record in Days for each value you've entered in the number field in your original table.

On your original layout, delete the drop down field and replace it with Days:: DayLabel. Format it with the same value list.

Now, when you select "Day one" for a record with 88 in the number field, you'll see Day One appear for all the other records with this name number.

There's a lot more to do here, but that should introduce the concept at least. You might want to read up on "Portals" in the filemaker help system as this is a very useful tool for working with groups of related records.

• 2. Re: Rookie needs help . . . formatting? I'm sorry, not sure what to call it . . .
            markjennb

Thank you so much...I got that to work! Is there any way to make it work all on the same page? This way I have to change screens to choose from the drop-down menu. I would like to have the drop-down menu be available on the main page.

• 3. Re: Rookie needs help . . . formatting? I'm sorry, not sure what to call it . . .
              philmodjunk

Just copy and paste the field from the new layout back to the original to put it in place of your original drop down field. You can put fields from other tables into your layout and edit data in them as long as you have a valid relationship linking your current record to a matching record in the other table.