3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2009 4:27 AM by comment_1

Room Allocation

escodirect

Title

Room Allocation

I am trying to design a FileMaker 9 Room Allocation Solution into a students database and I cannot see how to make it. The solution I am trying to do is as follows:

1) The Student comes to our secretaries office to book for a specific room

2) On paper the secretary checks for that day if the room is available for a specific time (sometimes students book for more than an hour).

Wishing that someone would give me an idea on how to design this one!!!

• 1. Re: Room Allocation
          philmodjunk

What do you mean by "On paper"? If your students are continually reserving rooms and checking availability throughout the day, wouldn't you do all this on a computer screen?

Assuming that is the case.

Two tables: Rooms, 1 record represents 1 room and Reservations, 1 record represents the shortest block of time a student can reserver for a given room (1 Hour or 1/2 hour is my guess from your description).

In Rooms, you need at least one field: RoomID--either a room number or an auto-entered serial number. If you use a serial number, add a second field for the room number.

In Rooms, you need at least three fields: RoomID, TimeSlot, StudentName

One relationship:  Rooms :: RoomID = Reservations :: RoomID

Set up a rooms layout where you can see all pertinent fields about the room. Add a portal to Reservations. Set your portal up to be sorted by time slot in ascending order.

Now you can reserve a room by finding that room record on your layout and entering the student's name in an open time slot.

That work for you?

• 2. Re: Room Allocation
            escodirect

Kudos,

Your say is very basic and not accurate regarding validation. In this case the tables will be as follows:

TblRooms            TblReservations

Room_ID             Booking_ID

Room_Name        Reservation_Date

etc..                    Reservation_Time

Room_ID

etc.

Can there be a validation on Room_ID, Reservation_Date, and Reservation_Time assuming the reservation is for 1 hour?

Sorry for bothering you guys but I need to know if this validation is possible in version 9!

• 3. Re: Room Allocation
              comment_1

Try adding a text field to the Reservations table that auto-enters the concatenation of room ID, date and time (replacing existing value). Validate this field as unique, validate always.

---

This is assuming reservations always start on the hour and last an hour - otherwise you'll need to validate against a self-join relationship of overlapping reservations.