6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 10:50 AM by philmodjunk

Run time solutions importing new data

rmanbike

Title

Run time solutions importing new data

Our company has customer service reps are in remote areas around the globe, and we have a centralized DB for our customer records, but need our CS reps to have access to this data, preferebly using their FM RTS, any suggestions? 

• 1. Re: Run time solutions importing new data
          Sorbsbuster

You can't share a Runtime file, except in the sense that users can use it one at a time.  It cannot be multi-user accessible.  However you can host the file with Filemaker Client and allow global access for remote users using a web browser, or a Filemaker client.

• 2. Re: Run time solutions importing new data
            rmanbike

I just think this would be a great new feature in a Runtime file, but I guess Apple would prefer that I purchase FM clients for every user! The other option would mean either I thinking along here, remote user accessing a file on a server through a web browser, the file would have to be published, dont believe all of our scripts are compatable with web publishing? 

• 3. Re: Run time solutions importing new data
              Sorbsbuster

Yes, if the runtime was multi-user we wouldn't buy those clients.  You can change the pop-up at the bottom of the script step listing to grey-out those steps that are not IWP compatible.  Don't know if any of the Database Reports available with FM Advanced lists steps in existing scripts that are not compatible.  I think most of the incompatible steps could be got around by alternative methods, usually of the 'Old Skool Trick' variety that we used to use before the featured step become available.

• 4. Re: Run time solutions importing new data
                rmanbike

Actually, this forum post title was about importing data into a runtime. Asking for a multi-user runtime, Im sure thats going beyond the orgininal intent of a runtime solution. But importing data from a local file, I think should be available in a runtime. 

But I did add aditional requests for help in a senero that I had, and thanks for the responce on that part. 

• 5. Re: Run time solutions importing new data
                  Sorbsbuster

I mis-understood your post.  You can export from and import into runtime solutions.

• 6. Re: Run time solutions importing new data
                    philmodjunk

This can work well if your CS people only read the data or only add new records to your DBs. If they also need to modify existing data--especially if two different CS people with different copies modify the same record--things can get very complicated when it comes time to merge the data back into a single copy.