3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2013 7:06 AM by philmodjunk

Running a script overnight

RobertRichmond

Title

Running a script overnight

Hello!

I was wanting to find out if there is a way that one could have a script run overnight to send emails with a generated PDF? I was origianlly wanting the FM Server to take care of it, but it appears that the server cannot do this (am I wrong?).

Our users will be using Filemaker during the day, and we were wanting to generate a PDF of a teachers timetable and email it to them. I understand that this may be very CPU intensive which may cause other users of filemaker issues in relation to speed accessing the server (correct me again if I am wrong).

Is it possible perhaps to have a machine which is always on(running Filemaker Pro)  take care of these jobs overnight perhaps? Could the be assigned to this user account perhaps?

Just trying to figure out if there is another option......

• 1. Re: Running a script overnight
          JeffMillard

I think you can but the key will be setting up the email to go out via an SMTP server instead of the client email system. If you use the normal send mail with attachment and no dialog setting I know at least MS Outlook wont send. This is to mimimize your PC from becoming a zombie spammer-- which, still might be a problem with an SMTP server but at least it will get out of Filemaker.

• 2. Re: Running a script overnight
            gcatnine

There are no problems using the server to send email overnight ( I do it with the schedules of medical doctors)  but the server cannot generate PDFs.
                 So, I use a text field for the email body and I compose the text with all the scheduling data (time, name of patient, notes, etc.) and I send the mails via SMTP directly.

• 3. Re: Running a script overnight
              philmodjunk

To get arround server schedule limitations, you can set up a robot file that your OS launches at a specified time. It then performs the needed script on the hosted file to save, attach and send the PDF.