1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 7, 2011 11:13 AM by philmodjunk

Running Balance Question and reference book

PeterDowns

Title

Running Balance Question and reference book

Hi 

Have a table tblnetworkInitiativesBudget that collects groups of budget items that are related by niID. I want to add up a running balance of all the items costs against a total expenditure. 

I made up a running balance calculation field with formula 

runningBalance = Totalfunds - Sum ( costing )

At the moment if the runningbalance field is part of the portal layout it actually will calculate a running balance but only against that record on it's line. If I take it out of the portal layout it only gives me the balance agains the first record.

Two things

I have multiple budget groups of records related by niID so I need to differentiate between the groups to add up the balance.

And I need the running balance to update automatically as I add in new budget items into various groups.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

PEter

PS Can anyone recommend a good book that goes way beyond the basics and has good examples for FMP11

• 1. Re: Running Balance Question and reference book
          philmodjunk

I can see how your calculation computes a current balance, but not a running balance. A running balance shows the current balance changing with each succeeding record of data like this:

Deposit   With     Balance
            20                        20
            10                        30
                         5             25

That can be done in fileMaker by using a summary field with the running total options specified to total up a calculation field that computes the change in balance for each record such as:  DepositField - WithdrawalField.

And if you can sort your records to group them by  your "various groups", the running total field can be set up to restart the totals with each group. I don't think this last option, however, works inside a portal, only in a list or table view of the totaled records.