5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 2:45 PM by philmodjunk

Running count of sub summary part in report

markgordie

Title

Running count of sub summary part in report

I have created my report with no problem however, I wish to have running numbers beside the Field placed in the sub summary section. I have run out of brain power to figure it out. The attached is what I seem to end up with instead of 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sample.jpg

• 1. Re: Running count of sub summary part in report
          philmodjunk

And what exactly did you put on your layout that is displaying as a "1"?

Summary fields count records, not sub summary layout parts, so what you want here is not a simple thing to produce.

One method involves a somewhat difficult to understand technique called "summing the reciprocal". You define a "count of" Summary field, sTotalRecCount, that counts some never empty field in your table.

You then define a calculation field as: 1 / GetSummary ( sTotalRecCount ; SortedByFieldForYourSubSummaryPartGoesHere )

Then you define yet another summary field as the total of this calculation field.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Running count of sub summary part in report
            markgordie

Wow, okay thanks Phil. Sounds way to confusing for something I think might be simple. I'm trying to get the numbers to go consecutive on the report where the [BOLD] fields are. Is there a way of doing that with a 'RunningTotal' or something like that by using a field from the same table? Could I 'count' the foreign key? In the layout I use to enter these records, it is in a portal and I use the {{RecordNumber}} in the portal row to number them there. That is what I tried on the report in the SubSummary section and obviously that didn't work. Thanks for help again.

• 3. Re: Running count of sub summary part in report
              philmodjunk

What I am describing produces exactly that running total.

• 4. Re: Running count of sub summary part in report
                markgordie

Thank you Phil. Just one last question. The report is based on a child table called 'Outline'. So for the summing the reciprocal to work properly, do I put the three new fields in that child table or in the table of the field I wish to have counted for the report? Thank you once again.

• 5. Re: Running count of sub summary part in report
                  philmodjunk

If the groups of records that your are counting are records from the child table, that's essentially correct, but the presence of two tables suggests that something this arcane might not be necessary.

If you have one record in the parent table for every group, other options exist for counting records. A running total "count of" field defined in the parent table comes to mind as a possibility here.