5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2010 10:53 AM by BreitenbushIT

Running ODBC Import Records Script in file hosted on server - where to install ODBC driver??

BreitenbushIT

Title

Running ODBC Import Records Script in file hosted on server - where to install ODBC driver??

I am hoping this is a simple question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

We have Filemaker Server Advanced 10, and are running Filemaker Pro 10 on a bunch of different computers within our office.  I am creating a new database that will be hosted on the server that has a script that imports records via ODBC from a MySQL database.

I thought I could simply install the ODBC driver onto the server computer, but it appears that this isn't the case?  For end users to utilize the Import Records script will an ODBC driver need to be installed and configured on EVERY computer that will be opening the database (via FM Server)??    If so, that will be a major pain in the ass.  It will also be rather expensive because I will have to purchase a license for every computer (and there are quite a few).    

So I have two questions here.

1> Is it possible to have my Import Records script somehow access the ODBC driver installed on the server computer?

2> If that answer to the first question is "No", then does anyone have an idea of how I could get around having to install an ODBC driver on every client machine?

Thanks much!

-shawn-

PS - Just in case it matters, all computers in question are newer iMacs running either OS Leopard or OS Snow Leopard.