6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2015 6:28 AM by mperley

Running Script in a Different Files Exceeds License

mperley

Title

Running Script in a Different Files Exceeds License

i have a script in File A that calls a script in File B. However, when the script in File B is called I get an error that the number of users using that license has been exceeded. I do have just a single license, but I have no problems having more than one file open when I do so manually. Any idea what might be happening?

• 1. Re: Running Script in a Different Files Exceeds License
          philmodjunk

Is it possible that "open remote" was used to set up the script's reference to the other file?

Open the file and use Manage | External Resources to find the reference to the file. Try removing and re-specifying the file reference being careful NOT to use Open Remote.

• 2. Re: Running Script in a Different Files Exceeds License
            mperley

Hi Phil, thanks for the quick reply. What if both files are hosted but on the same machine? Would I just locate the file through the file menu?

• 3. Re: Running Script in a Different Files Exceeds License
              mperley

I did some more digging after I got home from work. When the script in File A gets to the Perform Script step that calls a script in File B a login window appears for File A, which seems odd (I should also point out that File B is not password protected and shouldn't prompt for a username and password). I was originally using FMPA in order to use the script debugger (and for which I only had a single license), but I switched to FMP for which I have several licenses and then entered the same username and password for File A as I did when initially opening the file. I then looked at the activity tab for the file in the admin console and saw two client connections. The first was from IP 127.0.0.1 which was from the initial login, and there was another from IP 10.0.0.1 (the server's local IP address). It seems odd that there needs to be two client connections in order to run a remote script.

Finally, I did as you instructed and switched from a network external connection to a file connection (e.g., file:Reporting) and the same thing happened.

I hope this sheds some light on what may be going on. Thanks.

• 4. Re: Running Script in a Different Files Exceeds License
                philmodjunk

If you have two hosted files hosted from the same computer, opening both from the same client session on another computer should not create the issue that you are reporting. So it is not clear as to why FileMaker is detecting two client connections with the same license.

• 5. Re: Running Script in a Different Files Exceeds License
                  mperley

To clarify, the files are hosted by the same server and I'm also connecting via a client on the same server (the particular client connection is serving as a bot). When the script is initially executed, File A is open and File B is not. I wouldn't be surprised if I were asked to authenticate to File B but I'm baffled as to why I would need to re-authenticate to File A when I'm already currently logged into that file. Does that make sense?

• 6. Re: Running Script in a Different Files Exceeds License
                    mperley

Just thought I'd close the loop on this as I was able to resolve the problem last night. Since the particular client resided on the same machine as the server itself I had set up the remote host using the machines local IP address. However, when I instead used the external IP address and connected to the file that way I was no longer asked to authenticate to the same file twice. I have no idea why there is a difference but at least the problem has been resolved.