1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 3, 2013 10:07 AM by philmodjunk

Running scripts on individual records displayed via portals

ShaneB

Title

Running scripts on individual records displayed via portals

I have a parent-child record based system where researchers refine records into clusters, which are essentially groups of records. These groups are tracked on a parent-child join table. I have it set up where a single "cluster" record displays information from the parent records. I would like my users to be able to remove an individual parent-child record on the join table. I am not certain how I can do this with records displayed via a portal, however.

For instance, say record ids 7, 8, and 9 were used to create the new child record, 25. When viewing record 25 (through a new layout I have created for child-level records), a portal to records 7, 8, and 9 is displayed so users know what records were used to create the child record. If a user decides record 7 should no longer be a parent, there is no way for them to easily remove this relationship. How would I go about making this happen?

• 1. Re: Running scripts on individual records displayed via portals
          philmodjunk

I have it set up where a single "cluster" record displays information from the parent records.

Hmm "parent-child" usually describes a single parent record matching to many child records--which is not the case here so your terms can be a bit confusing.

I would like my users to be able to remove an individual parent-child record on the join table. I am not certain how I can do this with records displayed via a portal, however.

You can put a button in the portal row that deletes that portal row record if you allow deletion in Portal setup. I even have a script for that which is a bit more user friendly in the confirmation message that's displayed. You can import a copy from the Known Bugs List if you want to try it out. It is designed to import error free into an FileMaker file and the one script can work with any portal in your file.