5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2011 9:35 AM by philmodjunk

runtime as a host

mgores

Title

runtime as a host

Is it possible to have a runtime solution running on a computer, then be able to access it through FM Go on an iPad?

• 1. Re: runtime as a host
          philmodjunk

Only if you host it with FileMaker Server.

• 2. Re: runtime as a host
            mgores

Ok, should have known there wasn't a way to do that.  Was just thinking for one particular application, most of the use of the database would be from a laptop and ocassionally it would accessed through an iPad.  I know with FMpro you can host the file and then open it as a shared file from the iPad.  Was just hoping in this one case to be able to avoid installing FMpro on the laptop.

Can a runtime solution be opened in FM Go?  (I know - I'll look and post it over there too Smile

• 3. Re: runtime as a host
              philmodjunk

The structure of a runtime file doesn't change. You can take just the database file to another computer and open it with Filemaker Pro, so I don't imagine you'll have any trouble opening it with GO.

• 4. Re: runtime as a host
                mgores

Was hoping it could share so I wouldn't have to build some kind of syncing script, but will play around and see what I can do.

Now that I think about it, it does make sense - the Filemaker Network Settings part doesn't get included in the runtime.

Definitely be easier to just get a copy of FMpro to run on the laptop and have that share to FM Go on the iPad.

• 5. Re: runtime as a host
                  philmodjunk

"Synching" can be dirt simple or nightmarishly complex depending on the structure of your database, the number of distributed copies getting independent edits and the type of data editing permitted on the distributed copies.