6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 3:21 PM by JacobKopp

Runtime crashes when records are added

JacobKopp

Title

Runtime crashes when records are added

I've developed a database on OSX using FMPA 13. I've used FMPA 12 in Windows to create a Runtime Solution which, on the first run, opens and works great prior to data being entered. I can run it from the hard drive, flash drive, or network drive and it's fast and fluid. When I begin adding a new record it slows down and has lag when typing in information. Once it's saved the Runtime becomes unusable and stops responding. I close it, then reopen it, and switching layouts can take up to a minute or two to load. If I switch to a layout that is tied to a table it has taken up to 12 minutes. Any idea what could be causing this?

• 1. Re: Runtime crashes when records are added
          philmodjunk

Figuring out why FileMaker is crashing can require some sleuthing to rule out possible issues.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
               Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

To check for possible problems on a specific computer, you may want to run a utility to check out the hard drive and also to check out the user accounts on that computer for possible problems.

To rule out some other issues with your specific computer on Windows systems,

Select Run from the start menu and type in:

msconfig

Then, under the Services tab, you can stop all non-Microsoft services. If this solves the issue, then you need to look at what services you stopped and see which is one is the culprit.

What is reported when you recover the file?
               The file could be damaged. Not only can file damage cause crashes, but the crashes (or forced quits after a "hang") can damage your file. You may need to test a recovered copy to see if it works without crashing.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1.           Recover does not detect all problems
          3.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          5.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?
               That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...

• 2. Re: Runtime crashes when records are added
            JacobKopp

Thanks for the reply. 

I have tried it with multiple runtimes and it does not occur with others, only this file. It happens on all computers I move it to. 

I have recovered the file and it shows no errors or file consistency issues. 

The problem occurs whenever a new record is added, regardless of what layout it's in. The issue also occurs when switching layouts even if that layout itself doesn't have any records in its table. 

• 3. Re: Runtime crashes when records are added
              philmodjunk

My best guess then is that this file is damaged in a way that the recover process cannot detect. Hope you have a back up copy that does not exhibit this behavior.

One additional test would be to open the file with FileMaker Advanced and see if you can add a record or if it still crashes.

• 4. Re: Runtime crashes when records are added
                JacobKopp

I open it in OSX and Windows just fine and can add records, but it does crash in Windows when I go back into it. OSX it does not. 

I've checked all of my scripts for Windows compatibility and am not sure why it's only doing this in Windows. 

• 5. Re: Runtime crashes when records are added
                  philmodjunk

It's not unheard of for a damaged file to crash in one operating system and not another. It looks like the file is damaged to me.

• 6. Re: Runtime crashes when records are added
                    JacobKopp

I think I may have found the issue. For some reason I had a blank database with junk fields tied to another table. I can't remember why I did it but it doesn't seem to lose any functionality when I remove it. Once I removed that it seems to be working now.