5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 10:40 AM by philmodjunk

Runtime Error

EdnaLuis

Title

Runtime Error

I know this has been posted before, but the errors were different than I am experiencing.

I have FileMaker Pro Advanced. All was fine until this morning. Yesterday I had the software running on my notebook, looking for solutions to a layout issue and doing a little editing. I left the software running overnight so that it would be where I left off this morning, but now there is a 5-second lag time with every click before it reacts. Then, after about 2 minutes, it tells me that FileMaker Pro is not responding, and it abruptly shuts down without saving anything. "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way". I spent the morning running scans on my notebook, doing disk cleanups, and un-installing and re-installing FileMaker 4 times. Nothing has helped. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Runtime Error
          philmodjunk

If you create a brand new file, do you see the same behavior?

If a new file does not show this issue, your original file is likely damaged and should be recovered or replaced with a back up copy.

• 2. Re: Runtime Error
            EdnaLuis

You're right. When I created a new file and tried to edit a new layout, everything worked fine. The problem is I have no backup of the first file (unless FileMaker made one without me knowing), so I may be hosed. I have somehow managed to copy the database tables and fields to a new file, but it was an accident, and I don't remember what I did. I have several layout views and need to copy those as well f I can figure out how. (Any idea?) Otherwise I have to recreate them.

Thanks for your reply. I still have no idea how it happened, but I did discover that I had another software opened at the same time on Sunday, and that got messed up as well. Fortunately in that case I was able to uninstall and reinstall the software, and it was fixed without having lost any code.

• 3. Re: Runtime Error
              philmodjunk

You seem to have missed part of what I posted.

Try recovering the file. This is an option you can find in the File menu. The file you want to recover must be closed at the time you select this option in order to recover it.

Backups are something you need to make and keep on a regular basis, but if you don't have a back up, you'll have to try recovering the file and using the recovered copy of the file. If the recover reports "ok to use this recovered copy", you are almost always able to just replace your file with the recovered copy. We recommend using a back up that is not damaged as there is always a small chance that the recovered file is not fully and correctly repaired. That makes a back up copy the better option, but only if you have one to use.

• 4. Re: Runtime Error
                EdnaLuis

Thank you SO much. The recovery worked...but frankly I still don't know what happened. Nevertheless, I will be running backups from now on.

• 5. Re: Runtime Error
                  philmodjunk

It is not always possible to tell how/why a file became damaged. Some of the causes will be completely invisible to you and you only know something happened when the file starts misbehaving on you.