5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 10:33 AM by TSGal

Runtime Installers and User fonts

mcthc

Title

Runtime Installers and User fonts

Hello all,

The FMP 10 Advanced Development guide says:

"If a developer uses a font not found on a user’s system, the runtime application will make a font substitution. If a font is included with the runtime, provision should be made for its installation through the installer program."

I'm using Inno Setup to create a Windows installer.  I don't want any font substitutions.  What do I need to do to include a specific font in the runtime solution? Is the process the same for Mac runtimes?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Runtime Installers and User fonts
          TSGal

mcthc:

Thank you for your post.

When FileMaker Pro (or a runtime application) launches on either Windows or Macintosh, it reads the system fonts into memory and makes them available for use within the application.  If you plan to use a non-standard system font, then include a batch file to copy the font to the Fonts folder.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Runtime Installers and User fonts
            mcthc

Hi,

Could you please post instructions on how to make a batch file that would install the font?  How would I bind the batch file with the runtime, and where would I put the font?

Also, I read that for Macs, applescript is the equivalent of a batch file.  Would I use filemaker's Perform Applescript script to install the font on a mac?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Runtime Installers and User fonts
              TSGal

mcthc:

It's been several years since I wrote batch files.  However, include the font with your runtime application, and when you install, just copy the file into the system fonts.  On Windows, that would be:

C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\

Assuming you are using a batch file to copy the solution, just add the line:

Copy <font file> C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\ 

On Macintosh, put it into Fonts folder of the user library.  That is, 

Home -> Library -> Fonts

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Runtime Installers and User fonts
                mcthc

Sorry, but I'm really new to installers and batch files.  I read an online guide on how they work, but I still have some questions:

When you say "include the font with your runtime application" does that mean that I should copy the font file into the runtime application folder after binding it?  If so, where should I place it?

Where would I save the batch file, and what should I do to execute the batch file? 

I read that batch files don't work in Macs, and that I would have to program an applescript. If that is the case, where do I save the applescript and how would I trigger it?

Thank you. 

• 5. Re: Runtime Installers and User fonts
                  TSGal

mcthc:

No, do not copy the font file into the runtime application folder.

Since you are new to installers and batch files, for the short term, it may be easier if you just include a note for the recipient stating that the font file(s) need to be copied into the appropriate folders (mentioned above).

If you are learning Applescript, you may want to title it "Launch Me First", and then the files are copied to their respective places.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.