10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2009 3:03 PM by ralvy

Runtime question

ralvy

Title

Runtime question

When a runtime is created from, say, myapp.fp7, is the resulting myapp.usr identical in structure and content to the original myapp.fp7? That is, are they the same file, just with a different extension?

• 1. Re: Runtime question
          comment_1

ralvy wrote:

is the resulting myapp.usr identical in structure and content to the original myapp.fp7?

Yes.

ralvy wrote:

That is, are they the same file, just with a different extension?

No.

• 2. Re: Runtime question
            ralvy
               Well, what I'm getting at is this. If I take a client's runtime solution and rename the extension to fp7, and then load it with FMPA10, will I be working on the FMPA file just the way it was before I created that runtime version of it? (not considering the data of course).
            • 3. Re: Runtime question
              comment_1
                 Yes, but the opposite won't work - you cannot take a regular (unbound) .fp7 file, change its extension and send it to the client.
              • 4. Re: Runtime question
                ralvy
                   Good. That's what I wanted to hear. And I know I have to rebind the solution files before sending them to the client. Thanks.
                • 5. Re: Runtime question
                  comment_1

ralvy wrote:
                  I know I have to rebind the solution files before sending them to the client.

No - not if they were already bound.

• 6. Re: Runtime question
                    ralvy

Ah, so if they were already bound, I can just rename the extension that matches what the runtime .exe expects?

When a Filemaker binds a database, is there something in the database file that's changed, or does it simply mean the runtime .exe is created to look for that particular database, and the appropriate Windows support files are created.

• 7. Re: Runtime question
                      comment_1
                         AFAICT, a bound file stores the binding key within itself. The runtime will refuse to run a file with a different (or empty) key. Changing the extension back and forth does not affect the key.
                      • 8. Re: Runtime question
                        ralvy

Okay, I think I'm getting this. Apparently there's a location in any fp7 database where a binding key can be placed. Even an fp7 database that has never been put throught the runtime creation routine has this spot it it. Running the runtime creation routine on it simply puts a string in that location.

So the file my client has only differs from the one I have only insofar as his has a string in the runtime location in it, and mine has nothing in that location. Otherwise they're the same, excluding data, of course.

• 9. Re: Runtime question
                          comment_1
                             I believe that's how it works (AFAIK, there's no documentation covering this).
                          • 10. Re: Runtime question
                            ralvy
                               Thanks. Sorry for beating this one to death. I've never seen documentation on this, and it seems important to understand exactly what the runtime creation routine entails. This has helped a lot.