6 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2013 11:10 PM by philmodjunk

Runtime records scrambled

CaraByrt

Title

Runtime records scrambled

Hello all, I'm wondering if anyone has encoutered a problem like this.

I have created a database for a community group to store photos and related information. The other users don't have FileMaker, so I made a runtime solution. At the moment, the runtime has only been used by myself and one other user. The other user has been adding and deleting records.

There are 2 main tables, linked by the site number. So a record for site 1 has address details; and related records for 1a and 1b have the photo, date taken and so on.

The runtime works fine for me, but when used by the other user, it works fine for a few days then seems to get corrupted. This has happened twice. The links get scrambled, and site 1 shows photos for 5a and 7d.

The other user and I are both using Windows 7. The database contains about 1600 photos and takes up about 1 GB. The runtime has been updated once, when I opened the old runtime, made a design change, and created a whole new runtime.

Is this just a random corrupt file, or a sign of something not set up correctly?

• 1. Re: Runtime records scrambled
          schamblee

Is both users using the software at same time?  Runtimes are standalone, so if you are sharing this would be the problem.  Have you ran recover on the databases?  See the following link to run recover on a runtime : http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/fmpa_tools.24.19.html

Not to offend anyone, but are use sure your user understands how to use your app, link photos to records.  Users and designers don't always think the same way, so what may seem easier to you, may not be for your user.  A user may be accidently miss linking files.

• 2. Re: Runtime records scrambled
            CaraByrt

Hi S Chamblee, thanks for your response. There is only one user using the runtime file at any time - I've handed over control to the other user while he makes his changes.  I haven't tried doing a recover. I'm not sure it would help since I've seen warnings not to keep using the recovered file, and also I don't know what's causing the problem so it might happen again.

I'm not totally confident about the other user's skills, or whether my explanations were as clear as they could have been. But I'm not sure what he could possibly be doing that would stuff up so many links.

• 3. Re: Runtime records scrambled
              schamblee

It not recommend to use a file when recover has found errors because the file could still have corruption in it that was not repaired. If you contuine to use a file that had been repaired, you still may loss data.   If your file is corrupt it would be worst to continue to use.  If no errors are found then the file would be ok to still use.  If recovery finds errors you would want to run recovery again on the recovered file to be sure no more errors are found, then take a blank backup copy and import your data from the recovered file into a new blank backup copy.  

You could  just use a backup copy if it not that old (data).

• 4. Re: Runtime records scrambled
                philmodjunk

Frankly, I think we'd need a more detailed understanding of your databse before we can determine possible reasons why your records are being "scrambled". A damaged file is much more likely to fail completely than it is to "scramble" the data like this--though a damaged index might be the culprit with such an issue.

• 5. Re: Runtime records scrambled
                  CaraByrt

Thanks for the tips. Happily, this problem turned out to be a false alarm. When I posted my query, I had not actually seen the damaged database, but was going on the user's description of the problem. Today I made the two-hour trip to look at the file and watch what the user was doing, and it became clear that sometimes, when he thought he was doing a find, he had forgotton to press the Find button and was actually writing over the top of existing data. I have set up an error check to make it easier to identify when this happens. Cara.

• 6. Re: Runtime records scrambled
                    philmodjunk

You might want to set them up with global fields and a script to perform finds to avoid this possibility. See this thread for examples of scripted finds that use set field and global fields: Scripted Find Examples