1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 1:17 PM by JoshMakar

Runtime solution reports "Cannot load main dictionary"

NZPatrick

Title

Runtime solution reports "Cannot load main dictionary"

Hi!

I have a Filemaker 9 runtimed solution running in over 80 locations but I am getting sporadic instances of users getting the message "Cannot load main spelling dictionary".This has only occurred with XP and Vista users, not Macs.I have tried selecting different dictionaries in the user's machine, no luck. I have reruntimed the files, no change I have replaced the runtime with an FM8.5 one, same result. Replacement files show the same problem ie it must be in the originals somehow.The files have been recovered, same result, the same files work fine back in our office (on Macs)I have tried listing this on Tech Talk, no progress there either.

:(

Can you offer any advice?

Cheers

Patrick

Skagerrak Software

Auckland NZ

• 1. Re: Runtime solution reports "Cannot load main dictionary"
          TSGal

NZPatrick:

Thank you for your post.

I must say I haven't run into this problem, but I tried a few things here, and I discovered that the Dictionary folder needs to be inside your Extensions folder inside your FileMaker Pro folder (or wherever you have your Solution).  Otherwise, I ran into the same problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Runtime solution reports "Cannot load main dictionary"
            NZPatrick

Hi!

Yes the dictionaries are definitely located in the right place. Its the same for all our clients, just a few fail.

In the short term I have turned off "Highlight questionable spellings' in file options but this is not really a solution as choosing spell check would bring the message back.

Thanks for reading and replying so quickly ! 

If you get any more sparks of inspiration don't hesitate to fire one off !

:) 

Cheers

Patrick 

• 3. Re: Runtime solution reports "Cannot load main dictionary"
              NZPatrick

Dear TS Guy (and gal)

The problem occurs not at launch but when the user goes to a data entry page and click into a field (system opens to a menu so no fields to activate a spell check).

The windows users having the problems are on Vista AND XP (of varying shades but mostly SP3). These are motel front desk systems so probably would not be set to sleep. I'll try and verify that! 

As soon as the user clicks into a field on a data entry screen the message appears several time in succession.

We have temporarily got over the symptom by turning off "highlight questionable spellings" in doc prefs. I'm guessing the multiple occurrences is something to do with a number of questionable spelling on screen (names, street etc). The number of repetitions is significantly less than number of fields on screen so it can't be that I would have thought.

We have currently only seen this symptom on runtimed systems not running full FMP. I recreated the 9.0v3 runtime, same thing as well as trying an older FM 8.5 runtime.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Cheers

Patrick

Skagerrak Software

Auckland NZ

• 4. Re: Runtime solution reports "Cannot load main dictionary"
                oars

I may have been the one who reported it a few years ago. It's still occurring on our systems (it's happened ever since we moved from FileMaker 6 to FileMaker 8). In fact, it just happened to me while I was using FileMaker Pro 9. I can confirm that it has nothing to do with being in a sleep state, as it happened while I was actively using the system (and my computer is not set to go into sleep mode).

Like NZPatrick said, it pops up a message saying "Cannot load main spelling dictionary" when you click into a text field, and occurs for each word in the field, so if you have 3 words, it will pop up 3 times.

The only way I've found to stop it from happening (at least until the next time it occurs) is to exit FileMaker and reload the program. I've been trying to pin down a set of steps that we can use to reproduce it, but it almost seems to occur randomly. It has also occurred on multiple workstations on our network. But again, it seems to be random and there are no consistant items I can pick out between workstations that would help narrow down the reason why this is popping up.

• 5. Re: Runtime solution reports "Cannot load main dictionary"
                  NZPatrick

Hi!

I have since found a way to steer around the problem.

Go To File Options and turn off 'underline questionable spellings'

Not a solution, especially if your users can't spell but at least it gets rid of the message in the short term .

Cheers

Patrick 

• 6. Re: Runtime solution reports "Cannot load main dictionary"
                    anapedrero

I am running into this problem as well.

I had to replace my computer and had to transfer the files from our previous HD.

But it seems that the dictionaries files got corrupted, at least I got that warning.  With the suggestion to run the installer.  I am not sure if I have to do anything before, do I need to unistall the program and install again?

• 7. Re: Runtime solution reports "Cannot load main dictionary"
                      NZPatrick

Hi 

I have replaced my dictionaries more than once !

I don't think this is a dictionary problem, more of a problem with the files themselves.

Also I saw the same problem pop up once or twice of FileMaker Pro (9) and my Runtime Application (V9) 

So I am still looking for an answer ! 

Cheers

Patrick

• 8. Re: Runtime solution reports "Cannot load main dictionary"
                        oars

It is still occurring for us as well. I agree that it must have something to do with the files... and I've even received the error while logged in as Administrator with full access - so it's not a permissions problem.

Seems to be very random and infrequent, but when it happens it is very annoying and we have to exit FileMaker Pro and restart it.

• 9. Re: Runtime solution reports "Cannot load main dictionary"
                          TSGal

All:

As mentioned before, we have been unable to reproduce this in house.  We know that doesn't help you, but there seems to be a number of you with this problem, so any additional information you can provide would be helpful in determining the cause.

It appears to be only happening on Windows.  Can anybody reproduce this on a Mac?

On Windows, is the application and/or solution installed on the root drive (C: drive)?

What other applications are running?

Make sure your dictionaries are in the correct location. 

I know this is happening sporadically, but do you notice anything happening with your system between the time it was working and when it was not working?

Some users reported this occurred after a screen saver was invoked.  Can anyone comment on this?

Hopefully, your comments and answers will help us narrow down this issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Runtime solution reports "Cannot load main dictionary"
                            oars

Thanks for the reply TSGal. Here is my response to your questions:

It appears to be only happening on Windows.  Can anybody reproduce this on a Mac?

We only have Windows 2000 and Windows XP workstations.

On Windows, is the application and/or solution installed on the root drive (C: drive)?

Our FileMaker Pro installations are using the default path (C:\Program Files\FileMaker) on the root drive.

What other applications are running?

Normal everyday applications like Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc).

Make sure your dictionaries are in the correct location. 

Our dictionary files are using the default location (C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 9\Extensions\Dictionaries).

I know this is happening sporadically, but do you notice anything happening with your system between the time it was working and when it was not working?

Nothing out of the ordinary.

Some users reported this occurred after a screen saver was invoked.  Can anyone comment on this?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think we've had this problem without a screen saver being run first.

Hopefully, your comments and answers will help us narrow down this issue.

Thanks for looking into it!

• 11. Re: Runtime solution reports "Cannot load main dictionary"
                              NZPatrick

Hi TSGal 

I am working on a runtime solution rather than using FMPro in a folder in the root directory

>It appears to be only happening on Windows.  Can anybody reproduce this on a Mac?

Nope ! 

>On Windows, is the application and/or solution installed on the root drive (C: drive)?

The solution folder is sitting in the root directoryC:/MotelMate both on XP and Vista

>What other applications are running?

Don't know, these are many caried customers sites but they are motels and so not likely to be more than browser and email

>Make sure your dictionaries are in the correct location. 

Yes all checked in C:/MotelMate/extensions/dictionaries

>I know this is happening sporadically, but do you notice anything happening with your system between the time it was working and when it was not working?

Can't really tell beforehand, after I have been on VNC and the problem is solid

>Some users reported this occurred after a screen saver was invoked.  Can anyone comment on this?

Don't know!

I am quite happy to email a download link to you, if you're interested in seeing the files, email me at xxxxxxxxx :)

Cheers

Patrick 

• 12. Re: Runtime solution reports "Cannot load main dictionary"
                                TSGal

Thank you all for the additional information.  I will forward this information to the appropriate departments.

NZPatrick - I have sent you a private message (top of this screen - right side - just below the blue bar - X Messages) with instructions where to send the download link.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 13. Re: Runtime solution reports "Cannot load main dictionary"
                                  TSGal

Here is some additional information asked by Testing.

Are any plug-ins being used?

Another user reported this problem and when "show questionable spellings" in the file options was disabled, the problem went away.  Can anyone confirm?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 14. Re: Runtime solution reports "Cannot load main dictionary"
                                    NZPatrick

Yes ! That user was me !

:)

When you turn off questionable spellings the message did indeed go away, or rather was camouflaged. I'm sure it's still there ! 

Cheers

Patrick 

1 2 3 Previous Next