7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2013 3:04 PM by LisaCamilleri

Runtime Solutions - Steps After Creation

LisaCamilleri

Title

Runtime Solutions - Steps After Creation

Hi All,

First forum post ever, so bear with me!  

I'm trying to create a stand alone database that we can distribute out to as many end users as we want.  I've followed all the instructions that come with FileMaker help.  In the process of doing so I get an error message that says particular files can't be found, but it continues to go through and create the folder and files (with the 3 character extension I created) inside it.

I then don't know what to do with it - strange as that seems.  The runtime solution will work on my Mac, as I have FileMaker Pro installed.  I have tried sending just the file with the extension I created to my email address to see if I can open it up on my iPad .. but no luck.  Where do I go from here?  Do I need to send the entire folder to email?  I don't really get how that would create an application for the end user to read through/filter though.

For the record, I only need to create runtime solutions for Apple based OS.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Runtime Solutions - Steps After Creation
          schamblee

You can not run a Filemaker databases on your iOS device without filemaker GO.  Go can run a runtime on your device.  Runtime is only standalone on a Mac or PC, that being said a runtime created on a MAC will only run on a Mac and a Runtime created on a PC will only run on a PC.

Filemaker Go will open the database. You can use an App called "App Maker" to create a icon for your iOS device, that will open the database in Go.

You would send the entire folder for use on a MAC.

A runtime is not required for your iOS device and usually isn't used on an iOS device.

• 2. Re: Runtime Solutions - Steps After Creation
            schamblee

Here some links to take a look at.

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/12/filemaker-go/fmgo_development.pdf

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-go/docs/techbrief_filemaker_go_121_en.pdf

On your iPad go to the Apple store and download Filemaker GO 12 which is free.   It comes with a couple on sample databases. 

You can run the database from the iOS device or you can use the iPad as a client and connect to the database running on FMS or FMA.

A link about distributing runtimes to Windows or Mac

http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/fmpa_tools.24.16.html#1028581

• 3. Re: Runtime Solutions - Steps After Creation
              philmodjunk

To add to S Chamblee's excellent advice:

In the process of doing so I get an error message that says particular files can't be found

During the process that creates your runtime folder with all needed files, The application runs through all the external data source references and tries to update those references so that they work in your runtime. If there's a file listed as an external data source reference that is not selected as a file to include in your runtime solution, you'll get this error.

You'll need to first open Manage | External data sources and remove any that are not needed in the runtime. Then, when creating the runtime, make sure that you have all files that are part of your solution selected before starting off the process to create this solution.

• 4. Re: Runtime Solutions - Steps After Creation
                LisaCamilleri

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

I previously tried using FileMaker Go by transferring the file, but I don't have FileMaker Server and need to distribute more than 1 copy of the database so that one's a no go.  I'm not so interested in other people being able to make changes to the file as that's what I'll be doing - it's more for reference by other people out in the field.

I haven't been able to locate the app that S Chamblee mentioned and there are thousands of results when I do a search on Google.  I take it you can use any of them to create an app??

I'm thinking that if runtime solutions aren't used for iOS devices then maybe the best bet would be to just create a PDF report and send that out.  Unfortunately it won't give me the same flexibility as an actual database though.

• 5. Re: Runtime Solutions - Steps After Creation
                  davidanders

This article may help  http://hbase.net/2012/04/15/filemaker-12-databases-want-to-be-free/

The Free App Maker  http://www.soliantconsulting.com/blog/tags/filemaker-go-app-maker

(it does not make the database a stand alone app - it allows the database to be opened in FM Go from an icon

• 6. Re: Runtime Solutions - Steps After Creation
                    philmodjunk

I'm thinking that if runtime solutions aren't used for iOS devices then maybe the best bet would be to just create a PDF report and send that out.  Unfortunately it won't give me the same flexibility as an actual database though.

That should not be necessary. The key detail is that FM GO can open a regular FileMaker Pro file--either a copy that is physically transferred to the device or one that is hosted by either FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server via WiFi or cellphone/internet access. You don't have to create a runtime file for this and it isn't strictly necessary to use FileMaker Server either--though such is an option to consider and there are companies that will use their copy of Server to host the database for you in exchange for a monthly fee.

The "appmaker"--which is not the standard tool for creating a regular iOS app, but rather a way to set up an icon on your screen for directly accessing the FM GO file, is a an option that makes opening the file simpler, but without it, you can launch FM GO and then select the file to open.

• 7. Re: Runtime Solutions - Steps After Creation
                      LisaCamilleri

A big thank you to DavidAnders!  The first link you sent really helped me out!  I've now managed to successfully get the database onto two different iPads at the same time using the Dropbox transfer method.

Thank you also to others that posted - I'll learn how to use FileMaker yet!