10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2015 9:07 AM by philmodjunk

Runtime: Execute SQL script step and graphs

tays01s

Title

Runtime: Execute SQL script step and graphs

Is it correct that Execute SQL and graphs can't be incorporated in a Runtim solution?

Any work arounds?

• 1. Re: Runtime: Execute SQL script step and graphs
          philmodjunk

Charts and ODBC are not supported in Run times. There are ways to chart data in a web viewer and there might still be plug ins that can chart data, but don't know of any way around the ODBC limitation at this time.

• 2. Re: Runtime: Execute SQL script step and graphs
            tays01s

For reference:

1. Are do you know of any good posts re. charting via a web viewer?

2. Is SQL ever likely to be supported? Both this and charting seem like pretty essential functionality.

• 3. Re: Runtime: Execute SQL script step and graphs
              philmodjunk

SQL IS supported to a limited degree--even in run times AFIK, but this is via the ExecuteSQL() function, not the Execute SQL script step. The latter is used to push data to an ODBC data source. The former returns the resulting data set to a single field--useful in some cases and very limiting in others. (One way to use ExecuteSQL() to pull up a found set is to use ExecuteSQL to produce a list of primary key values that are then used in a relationship with Go To Related Records to pull up a found set of records...)

I do not have any threads to recommend for using a web viewer for charting.

• 4. Re: Runtime: Execute SQL script step and graphs
                davidanders

https://www.google.com/search?q=filemaker+runtime+charting

Threads about the subject on these forums are listed. 360works Charts says it works as does Dacons...

4 Charting plugins listed here   http://filemaker-plugins.com/features/charts/

• 5. Re: Runtime: Execute SQL script step and graphs
                  tays01s

Thanks.

Re. the ExecuteSQL() function, would this suffice to enable me to do the following:

I had a conditional value list of 3 'layers'. These work based a related tables. However, each is a checkbox list and checked values determine what appears in the latter lists. The down side is that although you can shorten a later list by unchecking 'upstream', this does not remove checking from downstream values; the latter continues to determine the ultimate list.

PhilModJunk, you suggested I could take care of this problem using SQL or filtervalues. SQL appears to be the better option, but I am not familiar with it; would using the ExecuteSQL() function in a Runtime do the job or should I investigate using filter values as the method of choice?

• 6. Re: Runtime: Execute SQL script step and graphs
                    philmodjunk

I have just the file for you. See "Adventures in FileMaking #1 - conditional value lists". This file demonstrates 10 different ways to set up a conditional value list--including at least two where you have a hierarchical chain of CVL's controlled by ExecuteSQL function calls.

• 7. Re: Runtime: Execute SQL script step and graphs
                      tays01s

I'm looking at that now, thanks. I've only just started reading up on SQL and can see how SELECT and WHERE, etc can narrow down to the desired lists on view but what I couldn't see was how when a parent list item was uncheck, that the child items that no longer appeared but had been checked, would become unchecked (but only those items).

• 8. Re: Runtime: Execute SQL script step and graphs
                        philmodjunk

If you use a check box value list format, that's simply a case of your ExecuteSQL query returning or not returning that value as one of the return separated values in that field. If the value is returned, the check box format shows it as selected. If it is not, it isn't.

If you go to the Additional Resources layout, you'll find that there's links to additional info on FileMaker SQL, SeedCodes SQL Explorer and also to Adventures in FileMaking #2. This file includes some more demos on check box fields that may coincidentally provide you with a better understanding of how they work as well as a portal based control that looks and acts like a check formatted field, but which allows you to include a scroll bar for scrolling through a list of check boxes and enables you to use other symbols besides the rather plain "x in a box" representation of the standard check box format.

• 9. Re: Runtime: Execute SQL script step and graphs
                          tays01s

Just noticed in FM 12 Help 'Execute SQL' does not appear to be supported in Runtime solutions. You'd mentioned ESQL was supported in Runtimes.....has this changed in FM 13? Looks like I'd need to drop the idea of using ESQL.

• 10. Re: Runtime: Execute SQL script step and graphs
                            philmodjunk

I believe that you have pulled up the Execute SQL script step help entry in stead of the ExecuteSQL function help entry. The script step is not supported, but as far as I can see from the help files, the ExecuteSQL function is supported in run times. Note that the only difference here is whether there is a space between Execute and SQL when you enter your search text in the on line help system.