9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2014 9:36 AM by ebooth

Salvage Items in Asset Starter Solution

ebooth

Title

Salvage Items in Asset Starter Solution

I have posted about this before a few months ago, and I am starting again. Thank you to PhilModJunk for answering before.

I am working in FMP 12 in an Asset Starter Solution and I have changed it to be a Lending Library template. Every now and then we salvage items, and I am wondering if there is a way to move an "asset" from the lending library table to the salvage table. I do have a backup plan, I'm just wondering if there is an easier way to do it. If more information is needed, I can provide.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Salvage Items in Asset Starter Solution
          philmodjunk

The easiest way is not to move the record, just mark it as "salvage" and set your systems up to ignore/omit/exclude "salvage" items.

But you can also use Import records to copy one or more records from one table to another, then delete the copied records.

• 2. Re: Salvage Items in Asset Starter Solution
            ebooth

Again, you save me. That's what I was thinking of doing. Is there any way to have the "salvage" items show up on a new table if I omit them?

• 3. Re: Salvage Items in Asset Starter Solution
              philmodjunk

By "new table" do you mean a different layout set up just to view salvaged items?

If so, you can set up either a list or table view layout for this purpose and a script can be performed when you access the layout that performs a find for all items marked as "salvage".

You could also set up a portal that lists all and only salvage items.  A portal filter expression can filter for just "salvage" items or the underlying relationship can be set up to match only to salvage items. This last option would not require any scripting.

• 4. Re: Salvage Items in Asset Starter Solution
                ebooth

Thank you for the information. I think we're probably just going to do a saved find, and create reports that way. Seems to be the easiest option and one that will work for us. Thanks!!

• 5. Re: Salvage Items in Asset Starter Solution
                  ebooth

I'm at this "salvage" script thing again. I'm hoping to be a little more clear on what I would like for FileMaker to do for me. I hope this makes more sense.

For daily operational purposes, I would like to not be able to have "salvage" items counted. Since they are obsolete, I don't need to view them every day. And I don't want to be distracted by the number of items in the list. So how do I make a script to hide them? I don't want to delete them, but I don't want to see them.

If you need more details, please let me know! Any help you could give me would be great.

Thanks for getting back to me, Phil!

• 6. Re: Salvage Items in Asset Starter Solution
                    philmodjunk

Do you have a field in the table that marks an item as "salvage". Say you have a text field that is either empty or has "salvage" in it for salvage items.

Enter find Mode [] ---> clear the pause check box
                         Set field [ YourTable::SalvageField ; "=" ]
                         Set Error capture [on]
                         Perform find []

This will find all records where SalvageField is empty.

This is based on the scripted find examples found here: Scripted Find Examples

• 7. Re: Salvage Items in Asset Starter Solution
                      ebooth

I do have a field for "salvage". Would this script take them out of the "all" count? We have 800+ items in FMP, and 300+ are salvaged. Would the number still be the 800+?

Thank you so much!

• 8. Re: Salvage Items in Asset Starter Solution
                        philmodjunk

If you mean the number in the status tool bar that shows the total number of records in your table, then no, this number would not change, but the number showing you the number of records in your found set that is also found in the same part of the tool bar will show the number of nonsalvage items.

It's pretty easy to set up your own field or other layout object for showing a count of the salvage and nonsalvage records in your table.

• 9. Re: Salvage Items in Asset Starter Solution
                          ebooth

OK thank you!