3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2013 4:12 PM by philmodjunk

Same Fields with different values each year

SusanGriffiths

Title

Same Fields with different values each year

I run a child sponsorship program for children in Mexico.  I need to track the amount that was paid for 12 different items per student and these values change each year.  Is there a way to set up one set of fields for the 12 items tracked, and input different values for each year (still keeping the values for the previous years)?  In excel, it would be a table with the 12 items tracked as rows and each year as columns.  Any help would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: Same Fields with different values each year
          philmodjunk

You could, but I recommend that you use a set of related records with one amount in a number field of each related record. That would be 12 related records for each year and each can contain an additional number field where you identify the year.

A portal can then display all these amounts for either the current year or a user specified year (if you want to look at amounts from different years.)

• 2. Re: Same Fields with different values each year
            SusanGriffiths

Ok, so I'm clear, are you saying create a table, let's call it "Payments", that is related to the "Student" table and includes 12 fields (one for each item) and also a field for the year?  So in this new Payments table, we would create a new record for each student for each year?

Thanks so much for you help!  I have 325 kids that are sponsored and we cover the cost for school tuition, backpack and supplies, 2 required uniforms (and we track all of the pieces for each uniform, shirt, pants, socks, sweater, etc.) and 2 pairs of shoes.

• 3. Re: Same Fields with different values each year
              philmodjunk

Ok, so I'm clear, are you saying create a table, let's call it "Payments", that is related to the "Student" table and includes 12 fields (one for each item) and also a field for the year?

No that is not what I am saying. You would create 12 RECORDS not 12 fields for the 12 payments. That approach is much more flexible than 12 fields in the same record.