4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2012 11:05 PM by ChrisSmythe

Save a Copy as [copy]

ChrisSmythe

Title

Save a Copy as [copy]

Hello, I am running FileMaker Pro v12 on Windows XP and would like some advise please on the following:

I have a button in one of my layouts that performs my Save Copy of Database script (please see attached screen-shot).

It works fine, however, I was wondering if there was some way that FileMaker was able to somehow let me know if and/or when a user runs my script?  This way I can prompt the user if they do not use the script prior to undertaking an spreadsheet import.

Kind regards,

Chris :)

Save.jpg

• 1. Re: Save a Copy as [copy]
          ChrisSmythe

Hello again, I am trying to further clarify my first post.

In the attached screen-shot shows my Import Data from PMKeyS Layout.

When the user clicks on any of the Delete buttons or Import buttons the associated scripts prevent the user from "double-dipping".

The Save Copy of Database script (shown above in my first post) does not contain any script steps to ensure that the user has actually saved a copy of the database to the G:\ Drive.

I need to ensure that the user has run the Save Copy of Database script before importing records into the database.

If anyone knows how to do this, could they please let me know.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Chris smiley

• 2. Re: Save a Copy as [copy]
            philmodjunk

Am I correct that your concern is that the user may run the Save Copy script but might cancel the save dialog and thus no copy is saved?

If so, don't give them that option.

Have them enter the name they want for the file into a global text field or have the script assign the file name for them. Either way, this text can be put into a text field and then save a copy can save a copy of the file without ever opening a dialog box to do so--preventing the user from canceling the save.

If you concern is that other scripts can be run without first running this save a copy script, you can incorporate the save a copy script into the first part of those scripts, or you can have the save a copy script set a value in a global variable when run and your other scripts can then check for a value in that global variable to tell if the save a copy script has been run since the file was opened by that user.

• 3. Re: Save a Copy as [copy]
              philmodjunk

Forgot one detail: Here's a script that uses Save a Copy As... to save copies of the current file automatically. You can examine its scripts to see how you can use Save a Copy with a variable instead of having a dialog box ask the user for a file name:  Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development

• 4. Re: Save a Copy as [copy]
                ChrisSmythe

Hello PhilModJunk, thanks for all your help on this.  I decided to go with your first suggestion and added the script step: Save Copy As [copy] in my Delete RAAF Records script so that when this script is run, the database is automatically backed up to our G:\ Drive.

Kind regards,

Chris smiley