8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2013 9:57 AM by philmodjunk

Save As PDF

mike.goss@citta.co.uk

Title

Save As PDF

FMPro 11

SaveAsPDF works very well for me except when trying produce large reports (more than 30 pages say). These seem to take a very long time, longer than you would expect proportionally.

Any thing I can do to improve performance?

• 1. Re: Save As PDF
          mike.goss@citta.co.uk

Can anyone offer help on this?

O get the save as PDF progress box up, he VPU goes into 100% load and, as far as I cam see, the Save As PDF command never completes.

• 2. Re: Save As PDF
            mike.goss@citta.co.uk

Or, in English, I get the save as PDF progress box up, the CPU goes into 100% load and, as far as I can see, the Save As PDF command never completes.

I can rewrite the script to create the PDF file piecemeal and Append as it goes, but I'm concerned that as the PDF file grows I'll hit the same problem.

I'm talking about 150 A4 pages, so it's not that huge.

• 3. Re: Save As PDF
              philmodjunk

What version of FileMaker are you using? Do you have all the updates for that version installed?

Is the PDF document all alphanumeric data or does it contain a number of graphic images?

Are those graphic images layout objects embedded in the layout or images in container fields?

Are there any pages in that PDF document that never changes? (If so, you can generate that portion once and use the "append" option to add the portion that does change with each report...)

• 4. Re: Save As PDF
                mike.goss@citta.co.uk

FMPro 11 - though I think Version 10 does the same thing

Check for Updates reports none available.

All Alphanumeric data, and the only "static" information are the page headers and footers.

• 5. Re: Save As PDF
                  philmodjunk

FMP 12 has some issues with PDF's but since your data is all alphanumeric and you are using FMP 11, I know of no issues that would cause it to "hang" like you are reporting. But long delays could take place for a number of different reasons.

What happens if you simply enter preview mode and pause right at the point where you otherwise would save as PDF? Do you get a delay then?

You might try this on a different computer or test creating a PDF from a completely different FileMaker file to see if there might be any issues with your computer or the specific database file. A "Hang" could indicate that your file is damaged. An force quitting to get out of such a "hang" can also damage your file in some cases. You may want to run a recover on the file and see what Recover reports. I would also test the recovered copy even if Recover does not report finding any issues as the recovered copy will have a number of things reset or rebuilt "to factor spec" and those changes might make a difference.

You could also try using Print instead of Save As PDF as a test to see if that makes any difference. If you are using Windows, you can download a PDF "printer" application to use with that option in order to carry out that test.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
                  3.           Recover does not detect all problems
                  5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                  7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 6. Re: Save As PDF
                    mike.goss@citta.co.uk

> What happens if you simply enter preview mode and pause right at the point where you otherwise would save as PDF?

> Do you get a delay then?

Already done this while debugging he script. Stepping through the script there are no long delays, until the Save As PDF command.

> You might try this on a different computer

Tried on at least three different PCs, one with FMP10 - all the same.

> or test creating a PDF from a completely different FileMaker file to see if there might be any issues with your computer

> or the specific database file.

Of the the three PCs listed all three were on different data files. They were derived from an original source, but that was some months ago.

I have run Recover on the copy on my development system with no errors reported.

I will rerun recover and test on the recovered data file and report back.

• 7. Re: Save As PDF
                      mike.goss@citta.co.uk

OK, more information.

Testing on the recovered data file gave the same problem.

I then went on to rewite the scrip so as to append to the PDF step by step, so insetad of creating approx 150 pages in one, it is built up in steps of < 10 pages.

The script slows and slows as the PDF gets larger and eventually the SaveAsPDF stalls completely with CPU maxed out.

There is defienitly a problem with larger PDF files.

Mike

• 8. Re: Save As PDF
                        philmodjunk

I suggest reporting this in Report an Issue. You can save typing and time by including a link to this thread. It's certainly possible that there is an upper limite as to the number of pages that can be generated in a single PDF. It would be interesting to see what the TS personnel that monitor that part of this forum have to say about this issue.