0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2014 10:38 PM by GS

SAVE AS PDF - APPEND SLOWS DOWN WINDOWS PC

GS

Title

SAVE AS PDF - APPEND SLOWS DOWN WINDOWS PC

I have a program that accumulates invoices as PDF's by appending them so that you end up with a batch of invoices you can print later - even from another machine on the network (Server is a MacMini running 10.8.5 with 8 GB RAM).  There are a number of caveats required to select the various invoices and invoice types so the program is using multiple finds and loops.  These don't seem to slow down the program much.  On my iMac it runs 500 Invoices in about 12 minutes.  On my Windows 7 64 bit 16 GB RAM machine it takes 7 Hours!  Naturally, the people I am developing this feature for are using Windows 7 64 bit machines.  As the PDF's are created the dialog box (Saving as PDF) takes longer and longer with each PDF appended.  It is fine when you only have a small batch but even at 100 it is very slow - perhaps 45 minutes to 1 hour.  

I spoke with FileMaker Tech Support about this and the technician suggested that the Windows environment does not have Preview available in it's PDF environment (usually Adobe Reader).  It was suggested that I choose another PDF program that has the properties needed.

I don't know much about the differences between PDF programs but I'm betting someone has run into this issue and solved the problem.  I didn't find it when I searched the Forum but I may not have used the correct keywords.  I would love to find a cheap (even free) PDF program the would solve my problem!

Has anyone else run into this?