5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2011 12:55 PM by philmodjunk

Save as PDF -- where are page size/scaling set?

KevinPfeiffer

Title

Save as PDF -- where are page size/scaling set?

Perhaps I am missing something, but how does one:

1. Set scaling when outputing to PDF (or simply tell FM to "shrink to fit").

2. Alternatively, set PDF document page size

The specific problem: right side of layout is being cropped off the PDF page, which appears to be A4 -- presumably based on some printer setting (which seems perfectly meaningless in this context).

Changing FM's display magnification makes no difference that I can see. There must be a "shrink to fit" flag that one can set, but where?? Or else a "set PDF page size to match layout" option! But I don't see where.

Something else that would be nice (which I assume has not been implemented) would be an option to not print field backgrounds (fills).

-Kevin Pfeiffer [Windows 7; Filemaker 11 Pro]

• 1. Re: Save as PDF -- where are page size/scaling set?
          philmodjunk

Just like printing, Print setup can be used to specify page size and orientation for PDF's.  To keep a layout object from printing, enter layout mode, select it and use the Inspector's "hide when printing" option, which is located in the sliding and visbility section of its position tab. The scaling and fit to page options can be found in the save as PDF's PDF Options section.

• 2. Re: Save as PDF -- where are page size/scaling set?
            KevinPfeiffer

> Just like printing, Print setup can be used to specify page size and orientation for PDF's. 

But what is the context? What paper size do you choose for a PDF that perhaps is not even intended for printing? Essentially the page size one wants is... "the one that fits my layout" -- in other words a custom page size that is the same size as the FM layout, and that is what FM should do (as its default) when it saves as PDF, IMO.

> use the Inspector's "hide when printing" option

Yes, nice feature, except that it is not available for parts, as far as I can see. So you don't see a row of buttons at the bottom of the PDF (for example) but you do still see the grey bar where they would otherwise appear. :-(

> The scaling and fit to page options can be found in the save as PDF's PDF Options section.

That would be really nice, but in my Options window you are only given a chance to set default PDF viewer settings, which have nothing to do with document dimensions or shrinking content to fit PDF document dimensions.

• 3. Re: Save as PDF -- where are page size/scaling set?
              philmodjunk

I think you'll need to scale your layout to fit the needs of your PDF. It's often necessary in FileMaker and many other database apps that you end up with one copy of your layout customized for data entry and a second that's customized for printing/PDFs. That would also eliminate the issue with keeping a part from printing as you can eliminate that part from the print version of your layout.

You can also specify a white color for your layout and then drop in a grey rectangle to cover the part and set it to "hide when printing". This still leaves you with a white space the size of your layout part, but if this is a header or footer, you may be able to adjust top and bottom margin settings to compensate.

• 4. Re: Save as PDF -- where are page size/scaling set?
                KevinPfeiffer

> I think you'll need to scale your layout to fit the needs of your PDF.

Yes, that seems like the most logical workaround.* But it greatly detracts IMO from the usefulness of this new "save as PDF" feature. FM could have saved themselves the trouble, as most anyone today can print to PDF today. But what a useful tool indeed it would have been if it simply printed your entire layout to a custom-sized (i.e., same-sized) PDF document! If the alternative is "yet another layout" then the result is much more likely to be "sorry, no PDF -- go print one of the existing standard reports".

The tip about the grey rectangle is good, but perhaps someday they'll consider "hide when printing" for implementation at the part level.

* For my own purposes a better work-around is to print to Foxit Phantom Printer (printer interface that outputs PDF), which allows for custom page dimensions; these can all be configured in the FM script**, yielding the result I had expected from FM's internal "save as PDF". But as you can imagine, this is not a very portable solution.

** Perhaps FM has these functions: "Get(WidthCurrentLayout; cm)" and "Get(HeightCurrentLayout; cm)? If not, that might be one reason that FM doesn't let one set the PDF document size programmatically?

• 5. Re: Save as PDF -- where are page size/scaling set?
                  philmodjunk

If you'd like your comments to reach a wider audience within FileMaker Inc. you might also post this feedback to: http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

(And anyone else that agrees with you can now also click this link and provide their comments also...Wink)