9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 4:03 PM by AlanSmith_1

Save as PDF... not prompting for location and file name

AlanSmith_1

Title

Save as PDF... not prompting for location and file name

On a MacBook Pro, under Mac OSX 10.6.8, while viewing a record, I select print, then on the PDF drop down menu, I select Save as PDF… and no menu pops up to show the save as file name at a location.  Also, the preview doesn't work.  The image shows as far as it gets.

On another Mac PPC G4 under OSX 10.4.11, the same procedure pops up a screen to save as file name and location, works fine along with preview also.

I can't find any way to fix this.  What might it be?

Screen_shot_2013-05-31_at_12.01.03_AM.png

• 1. Re: Save as PDF... not prompting for location and file name
          JimMac

What is your FMP Advanced version?

Save as PDF is a MacOS function and NOT a FMP function.  What do you see if you let it print?

This is a guess....

You have no FMP current record to Print.surprise

The image shows as far as it gets.

I dont understand that.

Jim...

• 2. Re: Save as PDF... not prompting for location and file name
            AlanSmith_1

I am running FMPro Advanced 8.5v2 and have been since it was a new release.  The database I took the snap shot of has 351 records and I was in record #87.  

Running OSX 10.2 & 10.4.11 on a G4 desktop and iBook computer, for many years, in any database I've made, on the print screen, I've dropped down the PDF menu and selected "Save as PDF…" and it has worked with no problem.  When I recently got a MacBook Pro, I formatted it and did a fresh installation of OSX Snow Leopard.  Installed and updated FMP Advanced 8.5v2 and began using my databases.  Right away I found out that the save as pdf no longer worked.

In any other application, the save as .pdf feature works fine.  The apps that do work include AppleWorks 6, MicrosoftOffice 2004, Safari, Firefox, Mail, TextEdit, Photoshop, iCal and more.  Each of them have their own print screen look and interact with the OS and it's providing of some of the Save as PDF… features.  

When I print it to a printer, I see the full database record.

What made it stop working in FMP only, was a new MacBook Pro and OSX 10.6.8.  All of the other software and databases are the same as what I've used for a few years.

I tried to create a new database using the templates, adding records and save as pdf still didn't work.

The image I atttached shows what the save as pdf screen looks like on a G4 running OSX 10.4.11.

• 3. Re: Save as PDF... not prompting for location and file name
              JimMac

You have found a known Bugcrying

printing problems with leopard 10.6.2

Jim...

• 4. Re: Save as PDF... not prompting for location and file name
                AlanSmith_1

Thanks Jim.  It's interesting that when I called FM support, I was not told it was a bug with FM Pro Advanced 8.5v2 running under Snow Leopard.  

Now, with this info from another forum question, it's apparently a bug in FM Pro 9.x also:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = 

Yes, you will not be able to print with FileMaker Pro 8.5 running under Snow Leopard.  This is a known issue.  

Please see Knowledge Base Articles #7355 and #7359 for more information:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7355

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7359

The workaround by saving to PDF is recommended. 

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = 

I was sure I had found some kind of a bug and with the other testing I did, came to the conclusion that it must be a bug.

After working at Claris in FMPro TechSupport & SoftwareTesting for over 5 years, I'm surprised support didn't inform me about this over the phone.

It looks like FMPro v10.x & v11.x is the solutiion.
                • 5. Re: Save as PDF... not prompting for location and file name
                  JimMac

Thank Phil Modjunk for keeping track of them.  I help him test from the MacOS side.  

BTW i have a good Mac that was the first Intel and had a hard drive track error and need the Original Install discs to reformat.  Apple quit supporting them but sent me a Disc free... and they didnt work.  Boot Camp works so i have a Windows XP but no Mac, lol.

I wonder, do you have the original install discs for 10.4.??? intel?  If i could reformat and load Snow Lep.. i would be good to go.

Jim...

• 6. Re: Save as PDF... not prompting for location and file name
                    AlanSmith_1

I have a set of Tiger v10.4 disc's, I'm not sure if they are specifically setup towards Intel chips.  They don't say it on the discs, even in the light 6pt font.

Do you have a utility like TechToolPro?

I'm shopping for FMPro 10.x to potentially fix the problems that FMPro 8.x & 9.x have with Snow Leopard

- Alan

• 7. Re: Save as PDF... not prompting for location and file name
                      JimMac

yes, TechToolPro 4 and 6

The Tiger discs must be the silver grey originals,  I have Tiger and Leopard family packs.  they are  upgrades, so the original system must be intalled.  After that, i can  up grade.

I have FMP 8 11 and 12frown

Jim...

• 8. Re: Save as PDF... not prompting for location and file name
                        philmodjunk

For those that are interested, the Known Bugs list is both a pair of threads over in Report an Issue:

FileMaker and FileMaker Server: Known Bug List

FileMaker Go: Known Buglist for Filemaker GO

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

And Jim, you are welcome to copy and paste the HTML formatted text from the right hand field in the Bug Report as a quick way to document where to find more info on a given known bug. Just Click the Source tool in the Post A Answer tool bar to get an HTML editor where you can paste it.

• 9. Re: Save as PDF... not prompting for location and file name
                          AlanSmith_1

Will FileMaker Pro v10.x solve this problem that exists in FMPro Advanced 8.5v2 and 9.x?