6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2014 8:12 AM by mgores

save container data..

smithsmith

Title

save container data..

helloo again..
           i want to ask something..

i have one table with 7 fields  (6 text and 1 container).in my database each record save a pic with some charakteristics.
           i know 3 ways to save my pic (in container):
           first embedded in my database (it's not good idea becaouse increase database size.
           second store only as  reference to the file
           and third store container data externally.
           i created my database with filemaker pro 13.my database also gona be shared with filemaker clients.

the question is..

when clients open remote file in the records wich have been saved with second way .."store only as  reference to the file" the container cant show the picture(cant find the path i think). why??

and the second question is..

if i save  with third way..store container data externally...if my disc is fully i must set new disc path but i could search in both disk?how can i solve it??

• 1. Re: save container data..
          philmodjunk

when clients open remote file in the records wich have been saved with second way .."store only as  reference to the file" the container cant show the picture(cant find the path i think). why??

In order to access "by reference" files stored in containers, the client needs a valid file path to the physical location of that file and the file path to do so must be identical to that used to insert the reference in the first place. This means that you need to set up a shared directory that permits at least Read access and each client computer then needs to map/mount that shared folder in a fashion that reproduces that file path.

if i save  with...store container data externally...if my disc is full...

I don't think that will work. You'd need to add a new drive that is large enough to hold all the images and change your external storage path to refer to it. Relocating the current files will take some work to both move them to the new drive and yet maintain the needed valid references to the new storage location.

• 2. Re: save container data..
            smithsmith

pls could you explane more or step by step the ...

"In order to access "by reference" files stored in containers, the client needs a valid file path to the physical location of that file and the file path to do so must be identical to that used to insert the reference in the first place. This means that you need to set up a shared directory that permits at least Read access and each client computer then needs to map/mount that shared folder in a fashion that reproduces that file path."

• 3. Re: save container data..
              mgores

If you add a file to the container field on your computer and store it as a reference to the file, Filemaker stores the location of the file on your computer, say C:\\desktop.  When someone else tries to view that container from a different computer Filemaker will look on their computer in C:\\desktop.  Chances are they won't have a file of the same name on their desktop, so they get the error message.

For them to see the file and have it stored as a reference, the file has to be local to the server.  I had a similar issue and set up some scripts that would automatically export the contents of a container file to a specified location on the server, then re-insert itself from that location as a reference to that version of the file.  This takes the option of how to insert it away from the users to ensure consistency and has the files organized on the server.

• 4. Re: save container data..
                philmodjunk

You might also find this thread and it's downloadable demo file helpful for understanding what file paths end up inside a container field when you use Store a referece: Exploring the use of a $Path Variable in Scripts

To expand on Mark's excellent explanation:

Say you set up a folder on a server at: Z:FileMakerPicts/Database5/ and you insert a file named VacationPict1 into a container field from that folder. The file path in the container field, if inserted with the "by reference" option is: Z:FileMakerPicts/Database5/VacationPict. If another user opens the database on their machine, they will not be able to see this picture unless their computer is set up to map the Z: drive letter to the FileMakerPicts folder. If they use a different drive letter or map the drive letter to Database 5 instead of FileMaker Picts, then the file path in the container field will not match the file path from that user's computer to this file and you'll get a file not found error message.

The same principles apply to mac systems, but you have a volume name instead of a drive letter at the start of your file path. Note that this makes it difficult for a network that combines mac and windows systems to access the same files via references in containers. It takes a bit of fancy footwork to come up with references that work for both systems.

This is a key reason why filemaker came up with external storage in FileMaker 12 as it simplifies a lot of these headaches when it comes to working with container data.

• 5. Re: save container data..
                  smithsmith

Thanks a lot!!!
                       The problem solved just finding the file via network!!!

• 6. Re: save container data..
                    mgores

Oooo, now I want that upgraded to 12 or 13.  Thanks Phil.smiley