1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 22, 2010 8:53 AM by philmodjunk

Save Copy As (Open)  - FMP Adv 11 OSX

mattb

Title

Save Copy As (Open)  - FMP Adv 11 OSX

I have a script which contains a Save a Copy As script step and have a check in the "After saving:  automatically open file" checkbox.  I have never had a problem with this on my machine (white Macbook laptop running OSX 10.6.4 with 2gb memory), either running source code (FP7) or the compiled version (USR).

However, in distributing the compiled version to 3 beta testers, all 3 of them report that the newly-copied file fails to open up.  It gets copied, but they are forced to exit the program and re-enter to gain access to this new file. I'm baffled by the difference in behavior between the machines and the fact that the majority of them (3 out of 4) fail to perform the task properly.  The "problem" machines are silver MacBook Pro laptops all running 10.6.x and all with at least 2gb of memory.  

Any theories as to why this might be happening?  

Matt Bloomfield

• 1. Re: Save Copy As (Open)  - FMP Adv 11 OSX
          philmodjunk

On your computer, you have FileMaker advanced installed and it can be used to open this new copy of the file. On your beta machines, FileMaker Advanced is not installed and the runtime application that is installed is "bound" to specific files in your solution.

I suspect that this "binding process" limits its ability to open a new file. Frankly, I'm suprised they can open this copy of the file at all.