12 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2014 8:00 AM by vtdonn

Save copy on FMGo - won't open file

vtdonn

Title

Save copy on FMGo - won't open file

I am adding a button that will simply save a copy of the existing database to the device and open it. Unfortunately, it isn't opening it - it simply saves a copy. According to the FMGo Development Guide it should work as shown in the atttachment. What am i missing?  Any workarounds?

Untitled.jpg

• 1. Re: Save copy on FMGo - won't open file
          Jade

Hi Donn,

Did you try setting the Specify to "self-contained copy (single file)"?

•

For files used in FileMaker Go, choose self-contained copy(single file). Container objects will be embedded in the copy.

• 2. Re: Save copy on FMGo - won't open file
            vtdonn

Thanks, I didn't, but I changed to that setting and it isn't changing anything.

In the Output File Path list, what should I inidicate if I simply want it in the FM Go Device?

• 3. Re: Save copy on FMGo - won't open file
              Jade

Is your backup copy listed along with the original database.fmp12 in FM Go's local file list?  If yes, then you have the correct path.  (I have used the path: "file:" & Get( DocumentsPath ) & "<filename>" for other file types in FM Go.)

Have you checked to see which windows in FM Go are open after the save?  Perhaps the copy is open but you are still on the original's layout.

• 4. Re: Save copy on FMGo - won't open file
                vtdonn

Indeed, it is saved to the local file list, but one actually has to press Save (versus Email) when that box pops up after triggering the script. However, it seems like that step shouldn't even exist, especially if the script includes saving a copy and automatically opening it.

The only one that is open is the file that I just made a copy of. There are no other files open.

• 5. Re: Save copy on FMGo - won't open file
                  Jade

That is indeed strange.  What version of FMP and FM Go?

I wrote a single line script:  Save a Copy as [ "Test Copy.fmp12"; Automatically open; copy ] and attached it to a button.

On FM Go 13, it saves "Test Copy.fmp12", blinks and opens the copy.  It does not ask to press the Save button.

When I tap the ⧉ button at the top left and choose "Windows"; it shows that both Test.fmp12 and Test Copy.fmp12 are open.

• 6. Re: Save copy on FMGo - won't open file
                    vtdonn

I'm on FMP Pro 13 and FMGo 12.  I futzed with some settings and it is now working!  Magic!

That said, I'm on my next task of one touch to export an .xlsx file of some records, and i'm getting a similar hiccup. It works perfectly on the desktop (but leaves me on the specifed layout- , but on the iPad it stops after I get to the desired layout and the email message doesn't pop up. I'm attaching the script that isn't working.

Anything?

• 7. Re: Save copy on FMGo - won't open file
                      philmodjunk

That explains it. Jade is talking about "apples" and you are talking about "oranges".

If you use Save A Copy as.. to save a FileMaker Pro copy of the file, then FileMaker GO can open that file automatically.

"Save as Excel" saves the data in a completely different file format--one that FM GO cannot open. You'd need a different app on your iOS device that can open Excel files and you'd need a way to get the file from the FM GO "sand box" into the "sand box" designated for that other app. I don't know if the latter is even possible in an iOS device short of emailing the file to yourself so that you can use an "open with" option from your iOS email program.

• 8. Re: Save copy on FMGo - won't open file
                        Jade

Save Records as Excel[] is not supported on iPad

Where the script step runs 

Supported 

FileMaker Pro 

Yes 

FileMaker Server scheduled script 

No 

FileMaker Go 

No 

Custom Web Publishing 

No 

FileMaker WebDirect 

No 

Runtime solution 

Yes 

• 9. Re: Save copy on FMGo - won't open file
                          vtdonn

Aha. Indeed, they are two different tasks- I shouldn't have put them both in one thread.

In the second task, I need to output records in a .xlsx format. This file should be attached to an email.  It sounds like I might be using the wrong script function?

• 10. Re: Save copy on FMGo - won't open file
                            vtdonn

Odd, you can do it manually by going through the file menu.

1) Go to the table view of the records

2) Press the little "gear cog" icon

3) Press "Export"

4) and so on.

Is there a different command I should be using to achieve this?

• 11. Re: Save copy on FMGo - won't open file
                              Jade

You can try: Export Records[]

It is just partially compatible with FM Go and specifically excludes .fmp12 and xml.  I am not sure about .xlsx.

• 12. Re: Save copy on FMGo - won't open file
                                vtdonn

Yeah, it doesn't work entirely on FMGo, but thanks for the suggestion. It gets you to where you select the fields you want to export, but that's it.