3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 1:12 PM by philmodjunk

Save find with sorting

JeremyWhitted

Title

Save find with sorting

Is this possible? I've saved a Find that I want to keep, but I also want that result sorted a certain way. It is possible to adjust the sort order within that saved find? Or is there another good way to automate it?

• 1. Re: Save find with sorting
          philmodjunk

Finds do not specify a sort order. Performing a find (saved or brand new) produces an usorted found set of records.

But a script can perform a find and sort the records according to criteria specified in that script.

And if you really need to, you could set up a table where each record documents one of two possibilities:

1) the list of record primary key values in a return separated list in a field and a second text field that lists each field in the sort order

or

2) The criteria used when the find was performed and a second text field that lists each field from the sort order.

But storing that sort order and then reproducing it could get very complex if you might be sorting on more than one field as there is no straight forward way to reproduce that multiple field sort order from the list in the text field. (You can do it, but it can become a very complex script.)

• 2. Re: Save find with sorting
            JeremyWhitted

Thanks. I figure a script would be the way to go. I'll try to figure that out. Thanks!

• 3. Re: Save find with sorting
              philmodjunk

You may find this thread of scripted find examples to be helpful: Scripted Find Examples